What time does everyone try to be seated in the tree?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Rslove, Dec 10, 2012.

1. WILDMAN44

WILDMAN44 Well-Known Member

Right before deer come by.

2. Depends on time of year, how, and where I'm hunting.

Peak rut and right after I might not get in a stand till 8am or after...... hunting zone 16 is mostly an afternoon affair for whatever reason.

3. Buckbob

Buckbob Well-Known Member

In the mornings I get in the stand and settled in by 30 minutes before legal shooting hours. In the evenings I try to be in at least 30 minutes before I expect that deer could be moving. Lately that has been around 2:30pm.

4. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

8,9,10,11,12,1,2,3,or4 depends on how I feel.

5. miketyson26

miketyson26 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

stand time...

It falls back on the way my Dad hunted. I try to be in the stand and quiet by 20 to 30 minutes before daylight. In the afternoon I like to be back in the stand by 2 PM.

I try to stay in the stand later into the morning then I used to. And I normally get down 5 to 10 minutes before sunset.

Its the basic idea that you can't kiil deer if your not out hunting.

Miketyson26 :flag:

6. pearlsnaps

pearlsnaps Well-Known Member

Whenever the money starts to grow is my favorite time.

7. Dave57

Dave57 Well-Known Member

I generally walk out on porch 30 minutes before sunrise. If it is a full moon, I sleep in.

8. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

Morning hunt I try to be there well before legal shooting time, in the spot and settled for at least 20 minutes. Afternoon hunt I get there as early as possible and stay there until the last possible second of legal shooting time. As the old saying goes, last hour best hour. All day sits are, well, all day. It's really hard to do all day sits anymore.

9. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

If I hunt morning I like to be in stand 30 min to hour before first light. Afternoon I want to be in stand ready by 2.

10. BIG JIM

BIG JIM Select Member<br>Ol Eagle Eye

20 to 30 min before daylight and right now, around 2:00 in afternoon.

11. THExONE

THExONE Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting

I go in around 10pm and leave around 4am. Lots of movement, zero hunting pressure and I don’t need camo.

12. x2

13. Kinglake

Kinglake Well-Known Member

Miketyson,

I am curious why you would get down 5 or 10 minutes before sunset? It is still very much light outside and that is prime time.

14. THExONE

THExONE Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting

I assume he means sunset as in pitch dark. I do the same. Sometimes earlier because I don't like to track at night.

15. Passthrough

Passthrough Account Suspended

just curious- why get down 5 to 10 minutes before sunset? Aren't you missing that last 30 minutes of hunting? That seems to be when the deer move the best IMO

16. Passthrough

Passthrough Account Suspended

Sorry, walked away before I finished typing and someone beat me to my question

17. miketyson26

miketyson26 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

dark...

Wording is the issue. I guess I worded it wrong. To clarify I mean 5 to 10 minutes of shooting light left. It started when I was young. My old man wanted me back to camp before pitch black darkness. That way he didn't have to worry and come looking for me after dark if I was running late. Now that i'm older its because as shooting light fades so does your ability to tell the difference in deer at 50 yards+ and I really hate tracking deer after dark. I will stay in my stand a lot longer if i'm at deer camp. The drive up and hunt days I don't hang around as long. Especially if I am hunting alone that day. So its just a habit.

That being said... The biggest buck i've ever shot was literally moments before dark. I had been scoping a doe for hours and I was just checking her as she came back up a draw behind my stand and wham bam she had horns... But that shot was at 15 yards. I will stay until pitch black if there are deer in the area so I spook them less getting down.

Miketyson26 :flag:

18. SLAYER

SLAYER Well-Known Member

Depends on the location time dosent really bother me I usually kill my deer between 830 and 11 all five deer I have mounted were killed during these times

19. Chasegal88

Chasegal88 Well-Known Member

NWA
    I like to get sat down in the morning 20 to 15 min before the woods start to become visible. I try to get into the woods anytime before 3 in the evening and usually wrap it up when I start hearing squirrels close by but cant see them. I feel at that point that you wont be able to tell what a deer is unless it has a good headset and right in front of you. I usually just hunt the mornings because i like having the full day ahead, and after i've sat around enough in the morning i tend to get up and ease around the woods and check things out. For some reason i've never been a big fan of walking out of the woods in the dark.