Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a rookie at bowfishing but it sure is fun!! My dad gave me his old bowfishing reel and stabilizer and I've mounted it on older Darton bow. The reel is a big Zebco but I see several other styles of reels like the plastic bottle that holds the string and spool that you wrap the line on by hand. Is one better than another? What do you use and why do you like it or dislike it? I'd like to hear and learn from other's opinions.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I'm a rookie at bowfishing but it sure is fun!! My dad gave me his old bowfishing reel and stabilizer and I've mounted it on older Darton bow. The reel is a big Zebco but I see several other styles of reels like the plastic bottle that holds the string and spool that you wrap the line on by hand. Is one better than another? What do you use and why do you like it or dislike it? I'd like to hear and learn from other's opinions.
I just started bow fishing this past week, just as something to do when I see some far in a ditch. I have shot about 10-15 in the past week. I am using one of those reels that has the bottle on it and can't say that I am really impressed with it. I am borrowing this from a friend, but when I get my own setup, I will go the stabilizer mounted rig or the manual winding route. This one just isn't real impressive to me.

·
Premium Member
29,473 Posts
Most of the guys that shoot a lot use one of the spincast type reels - usually one of the Muzzy Bow Fishing reels. I have an AMS retriever on my rig but when I go with my SIL I immediately pick up one of his boss with a muzzy reel. No comparison. Arrow flight is much truer out of that real and much quicker to retrieve arrow. Also can set the drag for fighting a fish. You can kind of see the reels in this picture.

Dish Cuisine Food Cooking Recipe

They work.

Flesh Meat

Attachments

·
Registered
860 Posts
stick with the spinner (zebco) reel. they are much easier to use and make sure you keep the line tight (no slack hanging down) when not shooting. Make sure you check to make sure the button is pushed every so often.
We reel our fish in with them and have no issues.
You can tie to the back of the arrow, or use safety slides. with safety slides the line stays even with the reel and never comes back to the string (chance of snap-back if you have the slack as mentioned before).
We tie to the back of the arrow and use 200# fast flite made by brownell. but we make sure the line is tight with no slack. (it becomes a habit to do that and check the button to make sure its pushed over time).
I've never had a snapback tying to the back of the arrow in 23 yrs, but my son has because he got into too much of a hurry and had slack line hanging down when he shot.

The AMS reels (bottle reels) are good reels, but you will have the line fall out of the reel if you tilt your bow downward and not paying attention. also you will have to pull your fish in by hand. They use heavier line, used to be 400# fastflite but they have different types now out for them....just do not use smaller line in the bottles. They are great for big fish also like gator gar. we use spinners for fish up to around 120#. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
stick with the spinner (zebco) reel. they are much easier to use and make sure you keep the line tight (no slack hanging down) when not shooting. Make sure you check to make sure the button is pushed every so often.
You can tie to the back of the arrow, or use safety slides. with safety slides the line stays even with the reel and never comes back to the string (chance of snap-back if you have the slack as mentioned before).
We tie to the back of the arrow and use 200# fast flite made by brownell. but we make sure the line is tight with no slack. (it becomes a habit to do that and check the button to make sure its pushed over time).
I've never had a snapback tying to the back of the arrow in 23 yrs, but my son has because he got into too much of a hurry and had slack line hanging down when he shot.

The AMS reels (bottle reels) are good reels, but you will have the line fall out of the reel if you tilt your bow downward and not paying attention. also you will have to pull your fish in by hand. They use heavier line, used to be 400# fastflite but they have different types now out for them....just do not use smaller line in the bottles. They are great for big fish also like gator gar. we use spinners for fish up to around 120#. Hope this helps some.
Good advice here ^ . I will add- when using a spincast reel, make sure to wet your line when you first get on the water.I just toss my arrow in the water and let most of the line get wet, then reel it back in. Dry line can hang up on the first shot .

·
Registered
345 Posts

Reviving an old thread, but just stumbled across it. I would do whatever Mr. Conway says, this guy knows his stuff. I personally use the push button reels as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.