What motor?

Discussion in 'Vehicles, Boats, Campers, & ATVs' started by arkrem870, Jul 1, 2017.

1. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

Conway
    I've been running a yamaha VMAX 225 2-stroke for a good while and really liked it. Now I'm shopping for new ones (150hp on a 20ft aluminum center console). I'm looking at Yamaha SHO, mercury 4-stroke, and mercury pro-xs 2-stroke.

Anybody have any advice? I'll hit local lakes, Arkansas river, white river, and a trip or two down to big lake/Venice per year.

ranger362 likes this.
  2. Bucker10

Bucker10 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I've had a 225 Yamaha 2 stroke

I've also had a 250 Sho

Loved the Sho

3. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

Just got back from a week fishing in northern Minnesota and saw hundreds of boats up there, most were 40 to 300hp. What surprised me was that 90%+ of the newer motors were 4 cycle. Lots of Hondas, with Merc and Yamaha probably neck and neck for runner up and Suzuki outboards next. Only Evinrude I saw the whole trip was on the back of my boat.

4. outdoorjunkiebj

outdoorjunkiebj Well-Known Member

That outta be enough to tell a guy what to buy and what not to buy.

5. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I think some of that is more area specific. Southerners like bass fishing and have to beat everyone else to the spot. We like mercs and two strokes were the most popular for a long time. Most of the Northerners like the four strokes. Honda is a lot more popular up there. Mostly 4 stroke Yams on their rental boats. In the toughest fishing environment in the US - coastal and offshore salt - it is 90% 4 stroke Yams.

6. Allenn

Allenn Well-Known Member

7. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

Conway
    Well.....when I considered everything I went with a mercury pro-xs two stroke. It was much cheaper with the boat I ordered and I am very comfortable with two strokes. I may go 4-stroke next time but for now I'll be running a two stroke again.

8. silentassassin

silentassassin Well-Known Member

Good choice, I think that or the sho are both great motors.

9. Bucker10

Bucker10 Well-Known Member Staff Member

If you like two strokes don’t ever buy a sho. Because you won’t own another