Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I kill a squirrel in the woods, I field dress it, but I want to keep hunting for more. What do I do with the one I have already? I have read that some people tie them up to a tree to cool. Do people really do this? I mean, at the end of the hunt, do you really backtrack to each squirrel you've killed and hung up to a tree? By the way, I plan on moving a lot. I don't plan on staying in one spot, which is why hanging squirrels up sounds a little odd and impractical to me.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I don't field dress them either. Sometimes if it is hot I don't wear a game vest either. Kill them and slit a hind foot. Cut a little green stick 1/4" in diameter and stick it through the hind foot. You can thread as many as you want on the stick. If I get ready to shoot another I lay the squirrels down and take my shot. As cool as it has been most of this fall a vest is probably the simplest.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
I always wear a vest while squirrel hunting. After I kill a few, I sit down and skin what I have and put them in a plastic bag and back in my vest. With several squirrels, it is suprising how much lighter your load will be.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I gut and skin them on the spot

The hide peels off easy when they are still warm. To keep them clean after skinning and gutting I place them in a pillow case and put that in my game vest. The pillow case allows plenty of air to cool the meat off and when you get home all you have to do is quarter them up.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
If there is anything left I let Jam handle all that. Ya see last year I carried a .17HMR and usually when I shot one it was pretty much skinned and quartered when it hit the ground. :biggrin:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dressing squirrels

I gutem and throw em in my vest. When I get back to the truck I skin them out mby slicing a hole in the middle of the back in the fur and pulling the opposite way. then slice off the head and the feet. I put them the ice chest and clean them up better in the sink before freezing them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.