What is the best GPS for waterfowlers

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by timbertalkn, Nov 28, 2012.

1. timbertalkn

timbertalkn Well-Known Member

I have for years refused to have a gps, but im getting to where im having to find new spots with the influx of shot chasers on our wmas :banghead:. So with all the scouting im having to do i figure i might get one to record some new spots. What in u guys opinion is the best all around gps with good satelite acquisition and trail mapping capabilities.....

2. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

How much you want to spend? How technical literate are you? Which ever model you get, make sure its got a high sensitive receiver so you can pick up sat's in thick canopy.

3. timbertalkn

under 500 on the price would be great rather stay around 300 I am good with technology, just never wanted to use it to duckhunt, till now.

4. factory909

Read that link, and check out these models. They are all Garmins.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

I would go for one of the Etrex 10's, 20's, or 30's. Do you want to load maps such as topo's or aerials? How about auto-routing so you can use it in your vehicle like a Tom Tom? As for battery life, most of those will get 15+ hours of use, I would look into the Sanyo Eneloop rechargables, about $20 for the charger and 4 "AA" batts and your good to go.

5. factory909

Then I would look into one of the GPSMAPs listed on my link or the Etex 20 with the bundle kit. DON'T order it from Garmin, there are way better deals out there on the net. I saw the Etrex 20's on sale for a buck fifty, which is a crazy good price.

6. timbertalkn

thanks for the link lota help, out of the etrex series which one would be the best for the money all im going to use it for is duck hunt but it would be nice to see topo maps too

7. timbertalkn

what is the bundle kit

8. factory909

The bundle kit comes with the US TOPO software, USB cable, case, belt clip and the Etrex 20 bundle kit. If your good with technology, then I would skip the bundle, and just buy the GPS. Once you get it, download Basemap and Mapsource (both are free). After you get those installed, go to GPSFilesDepot.com and download the Arkansas Topo software (again, free). Then just start copying maps over via the mapsource software.

Also with the Etrex 20, you get SDcard access, so you can add as many maps as you want, BUT the Etrex 20 and 30 is able to handle Birds Eye imagery. Birds Eye is best compared to Google Earth, real good high quality aerial views. Birds Eye is not free, I think its $30 or $40 a year.

9. timbertalkn

where would be the cheapest place to order one? amazon?

10. timbertalkn

thanks man you been alot help

11. greggdonna

greggdonna Well-Known Member

get the 30 it has better compass tech

12. shootemagain

shootemagain Well-Known Member

A used one that has all the holes in BM marked for ya....:D
    I use a garmin vista something....works great for me. They do have some newer ones out that are better I'm sure.

13. quax

quax Well-Known Member

14. Ross A.

Ross A. Well-Known Member

Garmin eTrex Venture HC… hands down easiest to use, good at tracking satellites, all around good unit!!!

15. factory909

I have a Silva also on my daypack, but a GPS is really handy!!

16. factory909

This is the exact model I have, great little unit, mine is always with me whether I use it or not. Timbertalkn, which ever one you get, learn to use the software so you get the most out of it.