Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I am taking my class on Wed. and I am curious as to what we will be talking about for 4hrs.

What should I expect? I have no idea...
You'll cover all of the Arkansas laws concerning carrying guns, self defense, when to shoot, when not to shoot, etc. Unless your instructor is very entertaining, take a couple no-doze before the class....you'll need them to stay awake. Also, if your class only lasts 4 hours consider yourself lucky...our "classroom lecture" was nearly 7 hour long. :doh:

.270Win

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll cover all of the Arkansas laws concerning carrying guns, self defense, when to shoot, when not to shoot, etc. Unless your instructor is very entertaining, take a couple no-doze before the class....you'll need them to stay awake. Also, if your class only lasts 4 hours consider yourself lucky...our "classroom lecture" was nearly 7 hour long. :doh:

.270Win
Yes, I called a lot of instructors to find the shortest class. This was among the shortest I could find. I am ready to get this over with. I have been putting it off for awhile but call me paranoid, I truly feel more comfortable carrying...especially since I travel the state and spend many nights in hotels.

I am buying a .45 tomorrow and can't wait to be able to carry it legally.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
you will spend a fair amount time just filling out paperwork, getting fingerprinted and having the instructor notorize and sign your paperwork (assuming he is a public notary). The rest is like .270 said, just laws, what to do and not do. A lot of it is common sense, but our instructor was pretty good and I learned a few things.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Hopefully the shooting isn't to tough! I will be shooting a brand new gun that has sights completely different from any others I have shot.
If you can put 8 out of 10 shots (I think) in a paper plate at 7 steps you won't have any problem at all. My FIL took his test the same day as I did, and he has probably only shot a pistol a few times in his entire life and he did great....so I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about. :up:

.270Win

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you can put 8 out of 10 shots (I think) in a paper plate at 7 steps you won't have any problem at all. My FIL took his test the same day as I did, and he has probably only shot a pistol a few times in his entire life and he did great....so I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about. :up:

.270Win
Can you use any gun? Ive got a S&W 22 that I can shoot lights out with.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Can you use any gun? Ive got a S&W 22 that I can shoot lights out with.
You can use any gun, but you'll probably want to take the test with a semi-auto so you won't have a restricted license. If you qualify with a wheel gun that's all you'll ever be able to carry. I qualified with my instructors tricked out .22 semi-auto. :biggrin:

.270Win

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dangit, It seems I am never going to get this done! I am not going to be able to get there on time tonight. I am still in an enrollment and won't be done until around 530.:mad:

Hope you guys enjoy the class. I am calling to see if anyone else has one soon. I am very ready to get my license...especially since i just bought a new .45 for carry.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How was the class? Would you recommend it? I have been trying to get this done and something comes up everytime. My enrollment was supposed to be done by 3:00 and i didn't leave until close to 6.

Luckily I have an internet card so i can chat it up on the boards!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well took the class last night and it was ok. You won't find it very informative mostly gun safety and a few rules where you can carey and when you can use your weapon. The best thing about the class is it's short I would not want to sit through that all day on saturday. Then it was off to Don's to shoot which was the best part of the class. But it was nice meeting you Doug having someone to talk to helps to stay awake. At the range I would say we shot about the same except Doug left bigger holes. I was shooting my .40 and he was shooting that honkin .45.:thumb:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Bryan, it was good to meet you too.

Like Bryan, I'd suggest going with someone you know or planning to meet someone there because there was quite a bit of down time while others were filling out paper work and getting their fingerprinting done.

I guess the thing that most surprised me was the different skill level that the instructor had to deal with. It ranged from guys like Bryan and me who've been shooting a while to a lady that I don't think had fired a gun. The instructor spent quite a bit of time with her at the range.

This was the second time I'd been to Don's shooting and it sure is handy not having to drive too far.

I really liked the idea of getting it all done at once. I've talked to some instructors and they said that you'd need to go to the State Police to do the fingerprinting or someone else to get the paperwork notarized.

As to my little old gun, I'm reminded of two quotes:

When asked why I'd carry a .45, I'd respond – Because I can't fit a cop in my holster.

and

Why do I carry a .45 – Because John Browning didn't make a .46.

:fit: :flag:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.