Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were relegated to a 22" bolt gun in 30-06 that put a 200 grain SP at 2350 into 1" @ 100 yards, what would you feel is too much game for it?

·
Registered
636 Posts
It would bring down anything in North America if you could shoot it at 100 yards. :thumb:
It will kill anything in North America shot at that range, true. It is heap good medicine. Having shot an 8 foot brown bear with a 300 Rem Mag at about 50 feet I would be leary of hunting Ursus Arctos or Ursus Maritimus with anything less than a BIG belted Magnum. Those big bears can soak up Bullet energy and still do a lot of clawing and biting. I would want to break up big bones and anchor them.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will kill anything in North America shot at that range, true. It is heap good medicine. Having shot an 8 foot brown bear with a 300 Rem Mag at about 50 feet I would be leary of hunting Ursus Arctos or Ursus Maritimus with anything less than a BIG belted Magnum. Those big bears can soak up Bullet energy and still do a lot of clawing and biting. I would want to break up big bones and anchor them.
in Alsaka?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I shot the 8 foot brown outside Cordova, Alaska. Polar bears are only legal in Canada and the hunts go for about $50K. You still cant bring thehide into this country. I did read a Nome Nuggett Newspaper interview with an Eskimo Elder who had killed about 80 Polar Bears inhis lifetime. He said his son brought a "High Powered .223" :eek: back from vietnam and it was lot easier to kill them with that rifle. I guess it depends on how well you can calm your nerves for that first shot.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
He said his son brought a "High Powered .223" :eek: back from vietnam and it was lot easier to kill them with that rifle. I guess it depends on how well you can calm your nerves for that first shot.
and knowing where to put it.

I can't think of a thing.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i figured it like this...
All of NA game thats reasonable to hunt could be cleanly taken with this combo.
For the Polars and the Big AK browns i look at it this way.
AK madates a guide for non residents, right. so im looking at a $20K hunt at least. If im going to drop $20K i want to be under 100 yards, heck under 50 yards for that. and if he doesnt spin-round or drop to the shot then that required guide better be dropping the hammer as well.

ever read One Man, One Rifle, One Land by J.Y. Jones?

he used an 700 ADL in 30-06 w/ a 2-7 redfield to take every NA game animal possible from the polar bearto the jaguar of Mexico, including 5 species of bear.

·
Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<
7,279 Posts
It would kill anything. I could probably kill 99% of all NA animals with a .22 mag. at 50 yards. You got to know how to shoot.:wink:

·
Administrator
81,378 Posts
As long as the bullet was a premium bullet, I'd take on anything that walked in North America. I'd want the bullet to be a Partition, Trophy Bonded, Woodleigh, etc, that would penetrate deep and hold together if it encountered heavy bone.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
With that combo I would feel confident shooting any animal on the continent if given a proper shot :thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
When I was little and we were poor (well at least I'm not little any more) my dad only had one rifle, a .30-06. He told his wide-eyed little boy that there wasn't anything living in North America that that rifle wouldn't kill IF YOU GOT CLOSE ENOUGH to put the bullet where it needs to go. It's all about knowing your limitations.

That was many years and lotsa rifles ago. Dad's gone, but the info is still valid. Of course bigger magnums and such would extend the range, maybe be a little more lethal and perhaps safer on dangerous game, but the old '06 is still perfectly capable.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
not yet, cant find a copy local. got one i can borrow?
Nope... I havent added that one to the collection yet. I'm sure you can find it online though.
My reading has plummetted since I got married. My wife thinks that anytime I put a book in front of my face is a good time to start talking about her feelings and other such BS.

·
Registered
623 Posts
the '06 has survived 102 years for one reason, it works on everything. it ain't a cannon by any means, but if the magnums are so much better, why does the '06 survives? because it is versitile. i agree with some of the people above, if i were going to go polar bear or grizzly bear hunting i would be packin' atleast a .338 win mag, but perferably a .375 H&H (or Ruger:wink:) because i would want a little more. but a rifle like that is a bit much for white tail or antelope. the '06 will do for big bears, no doubt. as longs a person accepts their limits, they can hunt with anything. a 12 gauge will do anything an '06 in close range (too close for moose or big bears...for me atleast). its all about placement and knowledge of the gun.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I you were going big bear hunting in Alaska, you are already going to be spending upwards of $30K for everything else, why not just spend an extra K and pop for a new rifle that is bigger and shoots just as well. And as far a the 30-06 being powerfull enough, i can't remember exactly who was quoted, but a Game manager in Africa once said that the 30-06 was the ideal gun for killing elephant. Now, granted that was about 80 years ago, but if it could drop an elephant, I am sure that it will drop anything else that you hit with a brain shot.

·
Registered
636 Posts
If you were relegated to a 22" bolt gun in 30-06 that put a 200 grain SP at 2350 into 1" @ 100 yards, what would you feel is too much game for it?
I knew people who shot moose with .22lr and .223 from a ruger mini 14. I'm sure the 30-06 or .308 for that matter would kill a Grizzly/Brown or Polar bear. The question is What would you feel is too much game for it? The most important thing in a holocaust is whose hole is it costing. For my money and my hide, give me a bigger gun (.338 WM or .375 H&H). What can be done and what I would do are two entirely different propositions. Before I actually shot a Brown Bear I carried a 44 magnum for bear protection. After shooting one and watching another angry one tear down a 9" diameter tree with only teeth and fangs, I traded the 44 away and carried a rifle for protection. Those big boogers are TOUGH.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts