Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to make your food plots? Tractor, atv, garden tractor, garden tiller, or rake? My last attempt at making a food plot didnt work out too well. Lets hear what works for you.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
My lawn tractor...I have old horse drawn geewhiz, small disc, and harrow. Works sweet....it also does a great job of mowing down weeds and small bushes....:thumb:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use a small disk that I pull with my 4Wheeler. I had a great food plot. I planted wheat, oats and mixed greens. I enjoyed watching all the deer on the plot this season.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Kubota L3000DTw/ FEL ,14'moldboard plow,springtooth harrow, discs,and the aid of an ATV with a spreader and drag.

Of course you have to cut the old tall growth down before you plow so I have a Woods BB60C brush cutter.
I got other tools but these are my main food plot tools.

Homemade springtooth harrow. First test for the plow here.
Ground was to wet so I was just seeing my new dirt toy work.

Prior to final discing after the spring tooth.

After discing and seeding.
The seeder on my honda is home made by me also......I have about twenty bucks in it.
So is the drag......handgunner got me the grates and they are great.

That foreman needs some new tires!!!!!!!:wink:

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Well, I am going to make a few small food plots this spring, and I will use a small tiler. I don't have an ATV, and have no use for one. I may haul out my ridig lawn mower to mow the place down, and then spray it with round up before I till it up.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
OH NO!!

My grandfather used to do that and I think I'll pass if possible.

What kind of emissions does that mule motor put out?:razz:
yep, grandfather and father did that at one time, not for deer food plots though. it was for food plots for them. you dont have to buy gas this way though.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
yep, grandfather and father did that at one time, not for deer food plots though. it was for food plots for them. you dont have to buy gas this way though.
My grandfather loved to plow with a mule. Honestly I'll stick with the tractor eat only eats diesel when I need it to:razz:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Allis-Chalmers D-17 and 14' International disk. Then I drag this ragged, old but still reliable do-all over it and then seed the oats. I cover the oats with the do-all and wait for a rain!

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
I have no access to a disk or tractor. I've planted my last four food plots with a shoulder-bag seed broadcaster, a tiller, and a rake.

It's simple, cost effective, and great for bringing in deer. Especially, in late season and within bow range. I call my plots bowhunting plots because they are smaller and I'm planting them to be close to my stands. However, they work great for muzzleloaders and even deer rifles too.

A little bit of work, but well worth the effort.

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
And oh yeah, I got pics of my plot in the member's journals area under the thread, "Fro's Little Black Log Book."

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great replys!:thumb: I love the pics. My little plot has a sandy loam soil and just seems to dry out. It is out of in the boondocks so wattering is kinda out of the question but there is a holler below it that may keep water most of the year. I am trying to figure out how to pump it up to my plot. It is several feet up to my plot and I figure it will take quite a pump to get er done.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
35 horse John Deere with a 5 foot disc. Plant by hand using a 5 gallon bucket. Then use the 4 wheeler with a harrow on it to cover. Make short work of it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts