Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that we don't really have a lot of "scientific" knowledge about how squirrels communicate or respond to calls. So, what experience have you had with calling squirrels, success or failure? What kind of call do you use? How and when have you used it successfully? Any and all thoughts or advice about calls and the art of calling squirrels would be appreciated.

- Josh

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
First let me welcome you to ARHunting.net. Glad to have you join us.
To me a squirrel call is not really a squirrel call it is a squirrel locator. It is used to get the squirrel to fuss at you or move so you can locate the tree it is in. Sometimes when the squirrels are laying up in a big tree and I know it is there but cannot locate it I use a squirrel call to try to get it to move so I can see it. You can also use the squirrel call and shake a bush to get the squirrel to move without it leaving the country in high gear. If you are within 25 yards I think it would be best to just use stealth and wait it out.
I hunt only with a .22 Rifle and sometimes make shots out to 50 yards with it. If I get the squirrel to fuss at me and remain where I can see it with a clear shot then I really enjoy the sport.
How do you hunt them? :thumb:

·
Registered
11,284 Posts
I bark with my own mouth to keep them chattering while I slip up on them. And I have used a Mr. Squirrel whistle a few times. It worked once, It made every squirrel run at me chattering while I was dusting them off with a 12 guage. I killed a limit in minutes.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I use two hickory nuts or checker and rub em together so that it sound like cutting tic's em off every time. They think some one is invading their claim I have even used the checkering on my gun and a finger nail

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.