What do you look for/need in a hunting lease?

Discussion in 'Hunting Clubs and Leases' started by BKS, Nov 13, 2017 at 6:20 PM.

1. BKS

BKS Well-Known Member

I know people have different definitions of what they look for in a hunting lease but what are some of your necessities in a hunting camp/lease?
    What would be a deal breaker? A sure win?

2. busterb

busterb Well-Known Member

Ratio of hunters to land, how many stands allowed.

3. curdog1

curdog1 Well-Known Member

harrison
    Big deer, pretty women and no kids.

whetstone likes this.
  4. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

This. A lot of acres per hunter and a lot of other things will work themselves out.

Widowmaker33 and BKS like this.
  5. crackshot82

crackshot82 Moderator<br>2006 Photo Contest Winner<br>2007 Pho Staff Member

Fouke
    Hunter to land ratio and no dog running.

BKS likes this.
  6. k&kac

k&kac Active Member

we have 125 acres per member, no dogs and its in different locations.
    so no one steps on anyones toes.
    if I want to squirrel hunt with a dog on some of our hardwood spots I can and not bother anyone.
    we just got 400 more acres and now we have to get more members

busterb and Widowmaker33 like this.
  7. pearlsnaps

pearlsnaps Well-Known Member

Forgot drinking allowed and no membership or annual fees.

8. curdog1

curdog1 Well-Known Member

harrison
    I just figured y’all already knew that...

9. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

Fixed that for ya. You almost sounded like an idiot.

10. Otto6463

Otto6463 Well-Known Member

I have a different thought process when I look for leases. I have private land that I can gun hunt so when I look for a lease I look for proximity from the house first off. The closer it is the more I’ll use it. Next I look for lease size. (Acres). The number of people in it doesn’t really matter much to me I try and find out how many bow hunt there. Usually most members gun hunt but do not bow hunt. I like a large lease because it gives me room to move around and bow hunt with less people in the stand and gives me and my family more place to ride the wheelers in the summer. I also hunt out of a climber and blinds so no need for permanent stands.

11. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    How many members per acre, but the real clencher... How many of those members turkey hunt?

Punkinseed and Otto6463 like this.
  12. Then the real question comes to mind, how much are dues?

13. longspurs

longspurs Super Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winne

×100

14. k&kac

k&kac Active Member

ours is 500 per year and we do not raise it, we add members if needed but we don't raise the amount.
    we have a company wanting to let us have 156 acres in one spot mixed timber but mostly pine a hwy splits some of it, but we don't have the members to add it. x 5.00 an acres
    also 125 acres of hardwood next to a river lake and county road splits it, times 5.00 an acre
    we did pick up 400 acres but the way our land is scattered and layed out we have a man and his wife hunting 400 acres by their self. another guy hunting 200 by his self and 7 locations not getting hunted at all, but that's why were doing so good. 8 wall hangers and 24 deer so far this year and 5 hunters not getting to hunt yet

15. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

Another thing is total lease size in one block. If the lease is 3000-4000 acres or larger - you can actually manage for larger bucks with some success. If the land is made up of smaller acreages - your neighbors will do a lot of the managing for you. But scattered smaller tracts do offer many more bucks. If you have two tracts of land ten miles apart, there will be a different group of bucks on each tract. If you have one block of 500 acres - most of the bucks will be using the whole acreage.

brushcreek likes this.