Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some people will pass up a doe or a small buck (legal) and wait for a big wall hanger to come up. i prefer meat but horns are a bonus.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
We have so many deer down here it is easy to get the meat, more challenging to get the rack that makes you happy...so I guess the rack comes first.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I usually only kill one doe a year b/c I dont have a lot of frezzer room, and I am saving space for a buck. I just like to hunt,you never know what you will see in the woods some strange things happen sometime.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
I been a meat hunter all my life, can't hardly change now....I see a time coming when it'll be pounds on the hoof, rather than inches on the haid; that will be the rule for most hunters.....just thinking ahead out loud:rolleyes:

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,642 Posts
Both - while I am always looking for horns, I have had pretty much no opportunity on horns for quite some time. Only horns I saw all season (from fall to this month) while hunting were spikes and a fork-horn. I saw zero legal racks while hunting this year. Even after passing on several groups of doe at various times and spending more time on-stand than ever and doing scouting and supplemental feeding (including food plot).

But I also hunt as an excuse to get out of the house and just enjoy God's world...

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm fortunate to have a place that I get several doe tags. So the does are for meat and I only shoot a buck if it is big enough to mount. After the first two or three years of this it made a big difference. Now I see 25-35 legal bucks a season and usually kill one or two. Before doing this I would see only 3-5 bucks of any size a season on my land.

"You will not have any men if you kill all the boys"

LC

1 - 20 of 32 Posts