What Do You Call the Thing that Holds Bullets on a Gun?

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by FroMan, Dec 17, 2012.

What do you call the bullet holding device on a gun?

  1. Clip

    18 vote(s)
  2. Magazine

    46 vote(s)
  1. Just wondering...
  2. mwmwbm

    mwmwbm Well-Known Member

  3. Veo

    Veo Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Contest Winner

    I call it both, but voted magazine as I normally refer to them as mags the most.
  4. 10pointman

    10pointman Moderator Staff Member

    I know its a mag but I cant help myself,Sometimes I still call it a clip.
  5. mwmwbm

    mwmwbm Well-Known Member

    ammo goes in the mag.
    bullets go in the casing.
  6. Ekspurt

    Ekspurt Well-Known Member

    A magazine holds the entire round inside it while a clip only holds the case from the outside. Clip examples are stripper clips that hold the case by the rim or the en-bloc clip for the M-1 Garand.
  7. HotGuns

    HotGuns Well-Known Member

    Is this a trick question?

    Magazines hold the bullets.
    Clips are used to hold the bullets in the magazine well like in a M-1 Garand.
    Stripper clips are used to enable fast reloading of magazine fed rifles.

    But alas...newbies,talking heads,Democrats and the uninitiated of life call them clips,
    whereas the educated gun guys call them magazines.
  8. mwmwbm

    mwmwbm Well-Known Member

    if you're going to argue symantics about firearms while using the wrong term for the ammounition/cartridge go for it.
  9. Mr. Chitlin

    Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    NE Ark
    What Do You Call the Thing that Holds Bullets on a Gun?

    I call the thing that holds bullets on my gun a buttstock shell holder.


    If you are talking about what feeds ammo into the barrel then that's another thing. Depends of the firearm, I use magazines on my hi cap handguns and AR's, I use clips on my Garand and stripper clips to fill my AR magazines.
  10. buckhorn

    buckhorn Well-Known Member

    I'll be. I have always been told, obviously wrong, that if it was removable it was a clip and if it wasn't, it was a magazine.
    Now I know.

    Maybe clip is just easier for us rednecks to say.
  11. glocker

    glocker Well-Known Member

    it's a magazine, clips go in little girls hair
  12. stealthycat

    stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

    Democrats call those things Child Killers and Illegal (well they will be in a few months)
  13. It depends on the firearm, and some firearms have neither.

    That said, the bullets are held in place by the cartridge casing.

  14. Timd1978

    Timd1978 Well-Known Member

  15. John Stiles

    John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

    I call mine a bullet-bra:razz::razz::razz::biggrin:
  16. x2
  17. Ekspurt

    Ekspurt Well-Known Member

    If you're going to throw around words like symantics, you should learn how to spell ammunition.
  18. Buckrub

    Buckrub Well-Known Member

    Bullets are never held onto a gun.

    Not ever.

    They won't stick.

    Bullets are held onto a casing by crimping the casing around the base of the bullet cylinder above the frustrum. Beneath the bullet is gunpowder. The casing, bullet, powder, and primer, when combined properly become a CARTRIDGE. CARTRIDGES are sometimes called 'rounds' in vernacular or in multiples.

    One day they are going to come take our 'guns' away and we aren't going to know what to give the crazy blokes!!! Learn what you own, guys.

    The device that holds multiple cartridges and feeds the firing chamber is usually called a MAGAZINE. I have no real idea what a gun 'clip' is.........
  19. mwmwbm

    mwmwbm Well-Known Member

    No, Mr Expert, I know the definitions of the words I use. I never claimed to be great at spelling. Also, when it counts (i.e. not an internet forum) I use spell check.

    p.s. it is spelled EXPERT