Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to start bow hunting but i'm not sure where to begin. I've hunted my whole life but never bow hunted. Would I need to shoot several different bows to find the right one for me ? Any ideas? I'm left handed. If anyone knows of or has a good used set up for sale I might be interested. I know a lot of bow hunters. Any help would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
14,652 Posts
You need to shoot every bow out there if you never have now hunted. Being comfortable with what you shooting make you more confident in your shooting. Everyone going say there brand is the best but, every bow differnt for differnt shooters.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I live in Dumas. Where is a bow shop close to me?
Go to hunters refuge in White Hall...... they have a real proshop with a full time pro.

You'll pay more, but you will get a bow that fits you and is basically in tune...... I bought my first bow at a place (that you have heard of) where the "pro" just didn't care.......... ended up having to get it fixed so it would shoot at Hunters Refuge. Should have started there in the first place........

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Find a mentor to help you. It may be someone at a bowshop.Or try and find one of those outdoor shoots where they walk through the woods and shoot animal dummies the name of them escapes me, Hopefully someone will chime in. I went to one in Mississippi to look at a bow and they were a very friendly helpful and knowledgeable. I was able to make an informed decision about what kind of bow I wanted after that afternoon.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought my first bow at a place (that you have heard of) where the "pro" just didn't care.......... ended up having to get it fixed so it would shoot at Hunters Refuge. Should have started there in the first place........[/QUOTE]

The place you're referring to doesn't happen to be located in Stuttgart and rhyme with quacks does it? I bought a new one down there a couple years ago and ended up having to carry it to 12 Ring Archery in Conway to get it re-setup and tuned.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I don't bow hunt but kinda where u are tractor. Buddy of mine got his at hunters refuge in white hall. He was very happy with it. They got him sighted in set up and shooting before he left. He took it home done some shooting and took his first deer with it that year with no problems. If I buy one I will probly go there or Simmons. One is not much farther than the other from us.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna get me a bow and some targets and practice. I'm already planning out stands for next year. I've never bow hunted but if I can spend that much more time deer hunting I knowi'm gonna love it. Our farm has some great spots i've just never got into it but i'm ready !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts