Arkansas Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Is it just this one doe giving you issues or most deer? If it’s just an old nanny, then move and kill her. If it’s more than one deer, you’re set up wrong.

Your buddy stinks worse than you, that’s why they just leave before getting in close. They’re almost making it into your stand before smelling you. You can’t stop your smell, it’s impossible, but you can play the wind.
He sees way more deer than I do but that doe causes causes 99% of the problems with me

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
That's what i was considering.... probably crack a beer while I'm at it
Toke some grass, too. Grass always brings der closer.

On a serious note...If it was me, and I knew the terrain, I would set up way before you get even close to your stand. There is a trail. She is not just willy nilly walking through the woods. She knows where she is going. Set up way before she gets to your normal spot or be waiting for her way past your normal spot. If you have any skillz, you can kill her from the ground when she is concentrating on the stand you're supposed to be in. If that won't work...you stink.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Toke some grass, too. Grass always brings der closer.

On a serious note...If it was me, and I knew the terrain, I would set up way before you get even close to your stand. There is a trail. She is not just willy nilly walking through the woods. She knows where she is going. Set up way before she gets to your normal spot or be waiting for her way past your normal spot. If you have any skillz, you can kill her from the ground when she is concentrating on the stand you're supposed to be in. If that won't work...you stink.
I do plan on getting my climber and hunting all around there until she ends up in my freezer

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
I do plan on getting my climber and hunting all around there until she ends up in my freezer
Try to find out where she is 4 hours before she ambles by your set up. And where she is 4 hours after she goes by.

Chasing and killing a big, mature doe is just as challenging as pursuing a nice buck. Deer hunting is the art of ambushing...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If your buddy is out/about place a bunch. The deer tend ta get use ta a person . I go about doing things here , in the same fashion / year round . Watched a few / within sight / got dark / got up out of my chair - in full view . Walked a ways ta wheeler n left . Not a one blew . Now , when I go ta a WMA. Yeah , do a lot , to not be detected .

·
Registered
806 Posts
Others will argue this first point but I stand by what I have witnessed. Generally speaking if a deer smells you they don't stand around snorting. If the wind changes and your scent surprises them they'll let out that initial "holy sh&t" snort and be gone. With that being said most likely you have been seen in that stand before. Maybe you didn't know it but you have been seen. Therefore, any old doe worth her salt will eyeball that stand every time she walks even close to it. If it doesn't look the same each time, she is going to notice the difference and even the slightest movement will set her off. Either move your stand or hang another in hopes of killing her cause she'll bust you every time going forward.
^^ is spot on. For the last couple of years I have had an old doe jump the fence and freeze at about 80 yds out. She then looks straight at my stand forever trying to figure out if I am there or not. Last year she jumped and froze. The two with her continued feeding across while she inspected. I never moved, but she must have made me out some way. She blew once and bounced back to the fence. It made the other two nervous and they all went back the way they came from. I put my nephew on that stand for the doe hunt and told him to kill her. He missed her! Got a new plan for her. I slipped in a couple weeks ago and hung a new stand on that hillside and have not been back. Hoping to catch her jump the fence Saturday and start looking at the old stand still there looking for me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Go
^^ is spot on. For the last couple of years I have had an old doe jump the fence and freeze at about 80 yds out. She then looks straight at my stand forever trying to figure out if I am there or not. Last year she jumped and froze. The two with her continued feeding across while she inspected. I never moved, but she must have made me out some way. She blew once and bounced back to the fence. It made the other two nervous and they all went back the way they came from. I put my nephew on that stand for the doe hunt and told him to kill her. He missed her! Got a new plan for her. I slipped in a couple weeks ago and hung a new stand on that hillside and have not been back. Hoping to catch her jump the fence Saturday and start looking at the old stand still there looking for me.
Good luck, hope you get her

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
OP, The wind has not been good for me either so far. We all get busted plenty.
You could hunt higher up. Personally I prefer stands at least 20 ft high for bow hunting.

You might consider moving the stand. Try to find a location with a “back door “ to access the stand.
Use terrain as a barrier, like a creek, blown down trees , fence row etc.
This can shift the odds in your favor.
Good luck

·
Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner
1,471 Posts
I'm not the greatest hunter out there but I've killed my fair share of decent bucks. In my opinion you can't beat a deer's nose unless the wind is right. Taking extreme scent prevention helps when the wind is light and may give you that extra second you need for a shot. To me its not worth the extra time. I would do like others have already said and move my stand. Its also tough killing Arkansas deer out of a ladder stand. They walk around looking up in the trees where I hunt.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I shower with the scent free soap and use the scent free deodorant. I don't use the scent lock type of clothing but I keep all of my hunting clothes/hat in a $5 plastic tub with a lid. I fill the bottom with fresh cedar and pine limbs and put a small piece of plywood on the limbs and stack my cloths on top of the plywood. I keep them in this year around, and they have stayed in this for years. One time I washed them in regular detergent and it still wouldn't take the cedar smell out. As soon as I'm done hunting or in camp, I change out of my hunting clothes. I regularly have deer close. If I'm away hunting where I can't easily shower, those scent free baby wipes work great.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Does the area you hunt have cedar and pines that could be the off sent there catching probably not but its an idea
I shower with the scent free soap and use the scent free deodorant. I don't use the scent lock type of clothing but I keep all of my hunting clothes/hat in a $5 plastic tub with a lid. I fill the bottom with fresh cedar and pine limbs and put a small piece of plywood on the limbs and stack my cloths on top of the plywood. I keep them in this year around, and they have stayed in this for years. One time I washed them in regular detergent and it still wouldn't take the cedar smell out. As soon as I'm done hunting or in camp, I change out of my hunting clothes. I regularly have deer close. If I'm away hunting where I can't easily shower, those scent free baby wipes work great.

·
Registered
678 Posts
My stepdad smokes and I’ve actually seen this myself but I swear they are mesmerized by that floating smoke, it’s not just deer either but dogs and cats will intently watch the smoke from the cigarette. So idk what makes deer more or less spooky, we use scent cover and that’s about it. Every buck I’ve ever killed have been within 40yds of me or closer but does? Nope them does are spookier than all get out! Hope you get that trouble maker, they are annoying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also what camouflage are you wearing.? If your wearing really old stuff take a black light or something like that amd shine it on your clothes, I’ve been 20 ‘ amd got busted cause I was glowing like a web worm, deer see the UV spectrum, usually I just hunt in a black shirt and brown carhartt pants

41 - 60 of 67 Posts