161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Trying to decide this year...
.44 magnum carbine
.35 Remington
7.62x39
Most of my shots are under 70 yards. I like a short rifle with low recoil. I've taken plenty of hogs with 7.62x39, but haven't tried it for deer yet. Super accurate with Hornady SST.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know there are more chamberings out there than replies I'll get to this thread but I'd like to know what you shoot and why. Feel free to include the make and model of your primary deer rifle (or pistol) too.

For myself, I mainly use a Remington 700 CDL in .280 Remington. I feel it has better ballistics that the 30-06 and can use a heavier bullet that the .270 Win. can, if necessary. How about the rest of you?
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know there are more chamberings out there than replies I'll get to this thread but I'd like to know what you shoot and why. Feel free to include the make and model of your primary deer rifle (or pistol) too.

For myself, I mainly use a Remington 700 CDL in .280 Remington. I feel it has better ballistics that the 30-06 and can use a heavier bullet that the .270 Win. can, if necessary. How about the rest of you?
When I was 10 I started with a 30-30. Buy the time I was 16 I was reloading my own and developed a desire to kill deer with every caliber within reason. I love rifles and deer hunting. I am now 68 and have killed deer with almost 30 different caliber rifles and a few pistols. A few have really impressed me. Out to 150 yards the 7 mm 08. It kills very quick most of the time handles quick in a Kimber Montana. It also very accurate. Out to 350 yards I love the 280 AI. It is lighter and kicks less than a 7 mag with almost the same performance as the 7 mag. I have a 28 Nosler for those long shots and elk, but to be honest the only magnum I ever liked was the 7 mag. After years of trying almost everything I love light fast handling rifles. If I could only have two. It would be the 7mm08 and the 280 AI.

·
Grand Member
16,335 Posts
Just ear hole em with it.
Did that last year on a big doe at 20 yards with a .223 64gr Winchester extreme point bullet , the most spectacular smackdown I've ever seen, also the biggest mess and gruesome end result possible. Blood, brains and skull everywhere, only the nose and part of a jaw left hanging by a little hide.

·
Registered
31,570 Posts
Did that last year on a big doe at 20 yards with a .223 64gr Winchester extreme point bullet , the most spectacular smackdown I've ever seen, also the biggest mess and gruesome end result possible. Blood, brains and skull everywhere, only the nose and part of a jaw left hanging by a little hide.
Sometimes when a nice big buck is walking away from you, and it turns slightly and you miss the 'spot', you can blow one side of his antlers plumb off. He'll drop faster'n gravity, and it makes you think you made the perfect shot, till you walk up there and see what you've done.

That's what I've heard anyway.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Sometimes when a nice big buck is walking away from you, and it turns slightly and you miss the 'spot', you can blow one side of his antlers plumb off. He'll drop faster'n gravity, and it makes you think you made the perfect shot, till you walk up there and see what you've done.

That's what I've heard anyway.
+5 Man Points for head shooting nice bucks.

161 - 180 of 195 Posts