Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are more chamberings out there than replies I'll get to this thread but I'd like to know what you shoot and why. Feel free to include the make and model of your primary deer rifle (or pistol) too.

For myself, I mainly use a Remington 700 CDL in .280 Remington. I feel it has better ballistics that the 30-06 and can use a heavier bullet that the .270 Win. can, if necessary. How about the rest of you?

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
I have used these calibers to shoot and kill deer in all conditions in Arkansas:

.30 Caliber Carbine
British .303
30-30
30-06
.44 Mag
.357 Mag
#1 Buckshot in 12 guage,
#3 Buckshot in 20 guage

And out of all of those the .270 was by far the best for an all around Arkansas Deer caliber. .270 is all I hunt with anymore, unless I am jump shooting them out of a grown up field (great way to get meat by the way):biggrin:, then I carry a SxS shotgun with #1 Buck. :up:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I shoot a Remington 700 in the .300 short action ultra mag. I use it mainly because I need the distance I can get out of it and the power it punches. Rhys for the cut overs and for the thickets I'll use a marlin lever action 30-30 or a Remington 870 with buckshot and slugs mixed in.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The reason why some folks like the 270 so much is that they didn't try a 308.

You can shoot a light load if you don't like the recoil although it already is lighter than its big brother, the 30.06. You can also shoot a heavier load if you want. Both factory and reloads come in many different types and weights. You can also take it to hunt Elk, moose, black bear or sheep and get "out there" with the right bullets. I would trust it for anything asside from truly dangerous game. You can likely find shells even in Horner's Corner. 308 is thus, the best.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the .308 is a fine all around choice. The NRA High Power shooters use it out to 1,000 yards with the right bullets. The 7-08 would be more popular in that sport too, if not for the smaller diameter. They want a big hole to score closer to the center X.

My son shoots a .243 Win in a model 70 and my only complaint about that rifle is it's dislike for 100 grain bullets. If I stay with 90 grs. or less it shoots fine but groups open up to almost 3" with the 100 grain pills.

I have taken deer with my .44 mag Dan Wesson Pistol but that's too loud without ear plugs.

I have never yet hunted in a situation where I felt I needed a magnum but there may come a day when I need to shoot an elk from a half mile away and will kick myself for being under gunned.

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
I figure I'll stick with O'Conner and go with 270. Pretty sure he shot a few 30 cal.s in his day. I have shot deer with several 30/06's in several bullet weights, 308 in several, as well as 270, 300 Ultra Mag, 243, 30/30 and a few gauges. Never had one run with the 06' or the 300, they may stumble a few steps. Most go down right there with the 270 or have a short track. All in all I enjoy the 270 and it works beyond well for AR deer and AL deer as well. Pigs belly flop with it as well.

·
Grand Member
16,336 Posts
From 12 years old until I was 20 I hunter with a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. Killed several deer with it. Then I bought a Weatherby in 30/06 but traded it because I didn't like the 26 inch barrel and fancy Montey Carlo style stock, it was a shooter though. Next got a Remimgton 700 in 30/06 but sold it, hardest kicking gun I've ever shot. In 1974 I found my gun, a model 77 Ruger , yep, in 30/06. Hunted with that old gun here and in Colorado for 30+ years. As I got older I started looking at different rifles and ended up, a couple of years ago, with a Tikka T3 Whitetailed Hunter in 25/06. It's my main deer rifle now. Like how it shoots and love the lower recoil. Still got the old Ruger, my son hunts with it a lot, and I've got an old Winchester 30/30 that gets called on for hunting the really thick stuff, but the 25/06 is what I'm usually hunting with.

·
Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner
6,928 Posts
open woods (where a 150yd shot or longer is possible and right of ways .270 (savage mdl 111)
fields and open(mowed) right of ways 7mm-08 and .243 (both savage 110's)
100yds and under both open and wooded conditions 30-30 (marlin)

i like the 7mm-08 the best followed by the the 243 and its a tie for 3rd w/ the 270/ 30-30 (mainly recoil reasons)

1 - 20 of 195 Posts