What breed of coon hound do you prefer!

Discussion in 'Huntin' Dogs' started by englishdawgs, Dec 30, 2010.

1. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

The thread about the guy wanting to buy a coon dog got me to thinking. What breed do you guys hunt with and why.

I Hunt English as most of you can tell by my name. The reason for doing so is that in my opinion they are the most balanced of all the breeds. Tree power, Tracking ability, And BRAINS.
    And Best of all unlike the walkers everybody and his bother doesnt have one and all of them dont look like over grown beagles.LOL!!

I like to brag on mine and bash other breeds so fill free to do so!! If the notion strikes you!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. arc3162

arc3162 Well-Known Member

I have always been a fan over overgrown beagles (treeing walkers) mainly because of my grandfather. I remember when I was growing up watching grandpa and great grandpa coon hunting and squirrel hunting with big old ugly treeing walker dogs with a little black and tan in the mix now and then.

I can remember walking out with my grandpa and his favorite walker dog. Grandpa would either move the barrel of his rifle back and forth left and right and that dog would hunt back and forth close to us, or he would point straight out with the barrel of his rifle and that dog was gone until he found a coon.

Another thing that really made me want to stick with walker dogs really doesn't have a lot to do with walkers. My great grandpa always carried a bugle with him made out of a cow horn, when he was ready to go he would blow that horn and those dogs would break their necks trying to get back to him so they could load up on the back of the flatbed.

I guess walkers are just a bit of a family tradition.

3. belliott

belliott Well-Known Member

We don't keep hounds anymore and I have not coon hunted in years. My dad and grandfather had about every breed there is. My favorites were always the Redbones, followed by black and tans then blueticks.

If I was going to get into breeding dogs today, I'd probaly get Bloodhounds. I like big, lazy looking dogs.

I currently have a english bulldog. She has a lousy nose but kills a least one possum or coon every 2 weeks out of the yard.

If I was to start keeping full blown hunting dogs, I'd probaly raise a mob of Curs. They will hunt anything, anywhere and in my opinion probaly the best all around running trailing dog out there

4. In common

I GUESS ME AND OL ENGLISHDAWGS HAVE A LOT IN COMMON,I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT MY BLUES.I DONT LIKE MOST OF THE TREEING IDIOTS TODAY OF ANY BREED,BUT ONE BREED SURE HAS A LOT MORE,GUESS BECAUSE EVERYONE AND THERE BROTHER HAS THEM EXCEPT US.IM NOT COLOR BLIND TO A COONDOG OF ANY BREED.ITS YOUR MONEY YOUR SPENDING WHEN YOU BUY A DOG.BE LIKE US AND STICK OUT IN THE CROWD BUY YOU ONE YOU LIKE THATS BALANCED IN THE WOODS REGUARDLESS OF COLOR. DONT BUY A PEDIGREE BUY THE DOG!!PAPERS DONT TREE COON IN THE WOODS.ITS MONEY AND PEOPLE THATS RUINED THE COONHUNTIN FLESH THAT GETS BRED TODAY.WALKER MEN DONT GET MAD,SOME OF THE FINEST IVE EVER HUNTED WITH WERE WALKERS AND SOME OF THE SORRIEST WERE BLUE GOOD AND BAD IN ALL,ANYTHING MASS PRODUCED PRODUCES INCONSISTENTENCY.BUT GOOD ONES TOO.CUT ME OPEN AM IM BLUE INSIDE AND LITTLE BLUE DOGS START RUNNING AND TREEING EVERYWHERE,BUT THEY GOT LITTLE COONS IN THERE TREES!!!!!!!!!
    GOOD LUCK FINDING A DOG,HUNT IT SEVERAL NITES ON TRIAL,WITH AND WITHOUT OTHER DOGS,BEWARE OF THE PEDDLERS.PROBLABLY HAVE BETTER LUCK CLOSE TO HOME WITH DOGS THAT ARE USED TO THE AREA YOU HUNT. BLUE DOG :biggrin::rolleyes:

5. TRT

TRT Well-Known Member

Forget the colors. Good Straight COON DOGS are the only ones worth feeding. They come in every shape and size. If you take the spots, speckles, patches and blazes away they are all the same. There are just as many good dogs in each breed as any other. On the same note there are just as many goofy dogs out there available in any color.

6. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Haven't had my own in years. Plotts and Black&Tans have always been my favorites.

7. rattletrap

rattletrap Well-Known Member

i perfer walkers, simply cause they develop faster. its hard for me to bash other dogs, cause last time i pulled up to a hunt with a nice dog of mine, i got casted out with an old nasty looking bluetick and started making fun of it with my buddies, then when we started hunting he kicked everyones butts that night, so then i had to watch bashing other breeds and just keep my mouth shut.

8. walkers oh did i mention walkers thats theulitmatecoon dog

9. It's either English or Walker here. I prefer english but I think overall they lack in several departments I tend to cull them for. I think that overall english have accuracy, brains, tracking ability, plenty of tree power for me, and looks. On the other hand I think walkers overall have better mouths, start earlier, more track speed, and most important to me HEART!!! I want a dog to kick rocks when he leaves every time I cut him loose. I think more people should be cross breeding dogs to get what they want and quite worrying about that pr on their papers. Every breed has something to offer and if we cant get a more balanced dog by cross breeding I will not hesitate to do so. I am not color blind, their are good ones in every breed but I prefer English or Walker

10. if you have a good english gyp i have a awsome walker stud tha throws some great genes and pups ill breed her for you for 100.00 i dont need any more puppys but wiil stud him out to you

11. hunter_3780

hunter_3780 Select Member<br>2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner

i always had walkers and cur dogs but i love to hear a good ball mouthed bluetick run. :up:

12. mmcginty19

mmcginty19 Well-Known Member

I have a kennel full of walker dogs right now but I've hunted with redbones, red ticks, blueticks and mountain curs. I have a plott mix for a hog dog so I'm not dead set on one breed.

13. Squirell chaser could you post your dogs ped and maybe a pic. I would like to meet up and hunt one of these days.

14. englishdawgs

This is from the other guys thread But I moved it here.
    You guys can talk walkers all day long but up in till 1945 they where reg. As ENGLISH COONHOUNDS. Until someone decided they wanted to breed just for the color of a dog and not for ability. All the traits a walker carries in its blood is from their English heritage. LIKE it or not you are hunting a ENGLISH DOG IN DISGUISE.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  15. englishdawgs

If a Treeing walker was the only coonhound breed there was. I would train a french poodle to tree and hunt with it before I would ever snap my leash to one of them Over grown Beagles.

Now I would take a Good BLUETICK FOR A SPIN.

16. hey english dogs are dogs but walkers are coon hounds :up: :thumb:

17. well you know if you cant tree with a walker hound you just need to stay home

18. englishdawgs

If all I had was a walker I would have stayed home in the first place. If you have seen one walker hunt you have seen every walker in the world hunt. I frankly have never been impressed with one. I have however seen a few Treeing walkers run deer and make it look good.:thumb:

You know why walkers win all the hunts. Its not because they are the best coon hound it is that there are 10x as many walkers as there are any other . When you go to an hunt that is 95% walkers dogs more than likely a walker will win. Its all a number game with you walker hunters out number and conquer.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  19. well you know you said they come from english dogs thats maybe the only bad trait they have and guess what it comes from the english gene :fit::fit::fit:

20. englishdawgs

If your talking about the Deer running Gene they get that from the Running walkers they breed back into them. So they could keep up with the english hounds. Because they had to inbreed the Treeing walkers to keep the black, white, and tan color going.