Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only run one feeder . I changed the batteries 3 days ago and yesterday It barely threw any corn. I used the rechargeable 6 ( uses 2 ) volts from Academy.
The past few years I’ve bought the energizer throw away lantern batteries and they last a whole year. But this year I noticed the new ones have changed. They are very light so I figured they wouldn’t last.
What are y’all having luck with ? Is there a high quality battery out there?

·
Premium Member
28,298 Posts
I cant remember the brand of feeder, but I bought a couple feeders a year or two ago and they would either not work or barely work with the black rechargeable spring top batteries - but worked with a standard energizer, non rechargeable. I called the company and they told me the spring top batteries did not produce enough amps or something. They worked great with the non rechargeable. I switched them out to moultrie bottoms later, anyway.

·
Super Moderator
13,662 Posts
The black rectangular rechargeable ones at Walmart. Not the ones with the green—all black. Not spring top. I put one in last fall and it’s still slinging corn like it was brand new. Evidently it has spun twice daily with and without corn for at least a year.

·
Grand Member
14,009 Posts
I use only rechargable 6 volt batteries in my feeders, with a solar panel on all my feeders. I usually get 5+ years out of a battery and some of the cheap solar Moultrie panels are over 10 years old. I have 6 running right now. I have both the coil spring topped square batteries and the black rectangular with the slip on connections, I buy whatever cheapest at Wal-Mart or Academy when I need one. I always write the date on the battery when I get a new one with a paint pen, so I will know how old it is. I've got one battery in a feeder that I noticed the other day has been running since June of 2014.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
You are asking the wrong question. The question should be “what brand feeder?”
I can get the cheapest lantern battery Walmart has and run it for well over a year feeding twice a day in my Moultrie feeders. I have about 7 feeders out right now and they feed twice a day, 10-12 seconds at a time. The batteries will last more than a year without using solar panels.

That being said, I owned about 4 Wildgame Innovations feeders a few years ago and I probably spent more on batteries that year than I did corn. They were absolute junk. I could put a new battery in it on a cold day and it would be dead the next morning. The only positive I can say is that some of the barrels are still being used with Moultrie feeders on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
21,324 Posts
I’ve ran several styles and brands of feeders best Ike’s I ever had was the American hunter for 79$ they had solar panel hook up had a cage around the spinner and funnel and had the hook up to make the cage shock pest. 16 feeding times a day can skip days what ever you want. They are good and several years old.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are asking the wrong question. The question should be “what brand feeder?”
I can get the cheapest lantern battery Walmart has and run it for well over a year feeding twice a day in my Moultrie feeders. I have about 7 feeders out right now and they feed twice a day, 10-12 seconds at a time. The batteries will last more than a year without using solar panels.

That being said, I owned about 4 Wildgame Innovations feeders a few years ago and I probably spent more on batteries that year than I did corn. They were absolute junk. I could put a new battery in it on a cold day and it would be dead the next morning. The only positive I can say is that some of the barrels are still being used with Moultrie feeders on the bottom.
I’m using a Moultrie
It’s 2 years old . It’s been lasting a year. Now it’s having problems

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I’m using a Moultrie
It’s 2 years old . It’s been lasting a year. Now it’s having problems
Did you get any water in it? That will cause it to act up. I have had them knocked over by bears and if they get rained on while they are on their side it will get water under the lid. The motor will never work regularly again after that.

·
Registered
10,759 Posts
I just put a new spring top rechargeable on my American Hunter this year after letting it sit out in the woods not running for almost a year.
I had to give the spinner a little help the first time I tested it with the new battery but it’s been running fine for a couple of months now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts