Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of the handgun for several years now and I'm thinking about getting another one. Whatever I decide to get will be a semi-auto and was just wondering what y'all preferred caliber wise and why. Yes I plan on getting my concealed carry. (leaning toward .45)

·
Administrator
90,592 Posts
That's like asking why you prefer one truck over another. :smack: :biggrin: I carry everything from a 22 to a 45, depending on where I'm going and what I'm wearing. I like the 40 SW, so lots of what I carry is in that caliber, and usually a Glock 27. No particular reason why, I just like it. The 9mm will have the least recoil of the big 3 calibers, 9mm, 40 and 45. 45 will be in the middle, and 40 will have the most recoil due to being loaded at a higher pressure than the other 2. As for price, comparable ammo will be 9mm the lowest, 40 in the middle and 45 highest. The 9 and 45 are 100+ years old, give or take a few (9mm - 1902, 45ACP - 1911). It basically gets down to what feels good in your hands, and what fits your method of carry. As I sit here typing right now, I have a Kel-Tec 380 in my front pocket. It rides there all the time.

The main thing is to get to a gun shop and handle as many as you can. When you decide on the gun that fits your hand and method of carry the best, then worry about the caliber. They'll all get the job done.

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You wouldn't expect me to ask an easy question would ya? :biggrin:

At one time I had the Norinco version of the 1911A1 and a Ruger P95D. The Norinco shot better for me (kinda just hit where I looked) and with a little work I could hide it while the Ruger hid easier I had to pay real close attention to the sights.....wish I had my old 45 back. May have to try and look up the guy that bought and see if he still has it and wants to sell it.

I've never fired a 40 but would have never guessed it had more recoil than a 45.

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
I'm looking for a 40 for myself because of superior ballistics overy the others. I like the Taurus Mellinium subcompact becuse it fits well in my hand, but I've not shot one yet. The sub. Glock didn't seem to have enough to hold on to and it didn't feel stable in my hands. I've also got a taurus flip top barrel 22lr that I'll likely carry when for a pocket gun.

·
Registered
217 Posts
At one time, Don's Weaponry in N Little Rock would let you rent guns to fire in their inside range. I don't remember how much it was, but it would be better than buying something and not liking it.

I like the .45, nice big holes :wink:

The recoil on the 9 and 40 that I have shot in the past seemed more sharp or maybe quick would be a better term. The .45 seemed to be more of a push than a hit.

Just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Guess I should have noted the Ruger was a 9mm.
I've got a 95 decocker, I knew that!

But it's all about what Mr. C said.

The .22 in your pocket is 100% more effective RIGHT NOW than the .45 in the safe. Think of carry weapons like golf clubs; you need a different one for different challenges. I've got a North American .22 mag revolver that loves to ride in shorts pockets in the summer. Kel-tec double-stack 9 likes to ride in a jacket pocket, and is handy in the car. I can hide a gummint .45 in a pancake holster, but I better wear some clothes over that.

I like the idea of renting guns, and both ranges around here do that. Better yet would be to buddy up with several friends and have a shoot-fest to figger out which ones you like.

:idea: It shore would be fun to set up a get-together of folks from this forum--I got a few somebody else might wanna shoot, and I'm not bashfull about trying something new, myself! :biggrin:

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
I agree with what Mr C said! I have a Norinco 1911A1, and love it, it is just a little heavy for extended carry, but if I needed it.....it would definately do the trick!!!

I also have a Taurus PT-145 Milleniun Pro, in 45, and it is just as accurate/dependable as the 1911, and a lot lighter/smaller, easier to conceal, so it has become my carry gun..............

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
you can still rent from Don's in NLR. I think you can try out 3 guns for 12 bucks or something along that.

i have a glock 27 (sub-comp .40). it does take a little practice to get used to the grip, but i can now shoot it as good as my bigger framed xd-40.

with a good IWB holster the glock can be carried all day and forget its even there.

·
Administrator
90,592 Posts
If I had to give up all my handguns except one, I would keep my Glock 19, mid sized 9mm. It fits my hand like a glove, has a mag capacity of 15 + 1 in the tube, and the 9mm is no slouch as a self defense round.

Years ago, before the technology that we have today, bigger was usually better. With the powder and bullet technology of this day and age, all of the standard self defense rounds are fairly comparable. Not until you get into some of the custom handloads does one really stand out over the others as far as muzzle energy goes. If you are ever in a self defense situation, center mass with a 9mm that you practice with will be better than a miss with a 45 that you can't afford ammo for.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'll second Mr. Chitlin's advice (except mine would be a 4" Springfield XD).

Many folks may sneer at the venerable 9mm as a defense round, but check out some of the premium rounds available today (I'm a big Cor-Bon fan).

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
What can I say that hasn't been said already. I've got that same Ruger P95D, I've also got the Springfield Micro-Compact 1911-A1 (I love this gun and it is my primary carry), and a NA .22 Mag. Just like everyone else handle as many as you can, and shoot as many as you can, before you buy.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Hey Possum,

Is money a factor or not??

That would have a lot to do with what gun to recommend....

If it is not a factor, I might say look at the Para-ord. line up. They have some great compact .45's.

If it is a factor, I might say look at the Taurus or something like that.

If it is in between, I might say look at the HK's. I have a HK USP compact .40 and it is a sweet handgun. But then again, I have several others to meet different needs, so for different applications they are all sweet....

anyway, like I said, is money a factor?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I love 'em all!!! As far as semi-autos I carry a Glock 22 more than anything, followed by a 1911A1 .45, and then either a S&W380 or Colt Mustang in .380 depending on clothing and season.

Since wheelguns aren't on your menu, I'll not waste space with those that I carry.

All of the autos I carry can get things done for me. I'd like to have a subcompact XD... probably in .40 since I have plenty of it to shoot and access to more when I need it.

No matter what you get.... buy a handgun!!!
Even if it's just a Ruger MArk II/III or .22/45! In fact buy one of those anyway just to get back into the handgun mode. They are cheap to shoot alot and you can get a whole bunch of training done with these and then slide over to the centerfire and put out some rounds with it!!!

The only thing better than buying a new pistol is buying TWO new pistols!!! ;)

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually right now money could very well be an issue. I looked at a couple of Taursu 1911's today and I don't know if it's been I've been out of the loop for a while or what but 700 bucks seemed a bit high to me. I seen a Hi-Point the other day I didn't handle it but it looked like it would feel like a 4x4 in your hand but I may be surprised while I don't have big hands they're not exactly small either (I can palm a basketball) it just looked bulky but I liked the price in the 350 range, except I know absolutely nothing about them.

I might add I do have law enforcement experience all be it 12-15 years ago and became quite effiecent at concealling the 1911 while off duty. And while it may be a mistake on my part I have no desire to carry anything smaller than a 9mm. I have absolutely no faith in what I call the belly guns, all I've ever experienced with them is watsed money and slide cuts in the crease between my thumb and index finger.

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
If someone is trying to sell you a hi-point for $350 go somewhere else. The shop here in town will order a new one (any model) for $189, but I could easily get you one for $275.:thumb:

I've heard some people swear by them and Hi-Point has a lifetime warentee for the original owner.

·
Administrator
90,592 Posts
Several of the guys in our club have the Taurus 1911's. Seemed like they paid less than $600 for them. The Taurus 1911's come with several features that are extra on most 1911's: Beaver tail grip safety, extended ambi safety, full length guide rod and match trigger just to name a few. They have been real pleased with them.

I agreee with johnf on the hi-point: if it is over $200, it is too much.

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Neither place I was in is actually a gun shop they just happen to carry a few. There used to be a man that owned a little shop around Wye Mountain that sold firearms at a decent price but somebody told me he passed away. John do you know anything about that?

The 700 bucks was a guesstimate figure including taxes, it would more than likely come out around the 650/660 range.

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
No, I've not lived here very long. I do know that guy at the little shop here in Perryville will order anything you want that he doens't carry for a very small percentage + shipping. There's a place in Nashville that will order any gun you want for $20 + shipping.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.