Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what brand of ammunition that ya'll prefer? :thumb: It doesn't matter to me if you say for hunting, Self Defense, or just target practicing.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
I'm really fond of Ballistic Tips. I've been using the Noslers but they've about out priced me. I've got a current load of Hornady SST's that actually have proved to be more accurate. Time will only tell how they perform on deer. :thumb:

BTW....if ya haven't figured it out I load my own.

·
Administrator
87,241 Posts
I have mainly loaded Ballistic Tip and/or Cor-Lokt bullets for most of my rifle hunting loads. This year, I have tried the 165 grain Hornady SST in my 308 semi-auto and it shoots like a dream. I'll say bye-bye to the ballistic tips in this rifle.

The only factory ammo I have (besides rimfire) is my carry ammo for my handguns. It consists of 124 grain Federal +P+ Hydra-Shok and Speer Gold Dot for the 9mm, 165 Grain Speer Gold Dot and Remington Golden Saber in 40SW, 175 Grain Winchester Silver Tip in 10mm and 185 grain Cor-Bon in the 45ACP.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I like the ammo the FIL loads and drops off at the house! Just brought me about 250 115 FMJ 9MM's.

Carry ammo is usually Cor-Bon, but there is some Black Talon left over from the good old days that might accidentally end up in a .45 or .357.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Depends on the gun I am shooting them out of. Lately with prices going sky high, my .30-30 and .30-06 shoot Rem Cor-lockts great, so they are getting the most of my shooting time. I should also add the .22 gets shot a lot more as well. In others, I shoot mainly Federal with BT, or Winchester ST BT.

·
Administrator
87,241 Posts
Depends on the gun I am shooting them out of. Lately with prices going sky high, my .30-30 and .30-06 shoot Rem Cor-lockts great, so they are getting the most of my shooting time. I should also add the .22 gets shot a lot more as well. In others, I shoot mainly Federal with BT, or Winchester ST BT.
I have been loading the 150 grain Cor-Lokt bullet in the 30-30 that my son shoots, and this bullet shoots like a dream in that rifle. I also shoot the 200 grain Cor-Lokt in the 35 Remington and it is a winner. Cheap bullets that shoot good, you can't beat that!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
For hunting in my Rem. 700 BDL I use Winchester ballistic silvertip in 168 gr. Only had 3 deer run (not far) after shot! :up:

For defense, in the .40 G22 I use Black Talons and in the 9mm I use Ranger SXT's (primarily the same as Black Talons and made by same peeps)Hard as hell to find either of these anymore unless @ gun shows.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
For hunting in my Rem. 700 BDL I use Winchester ballistic silvertip in 168 gr. Only had 3 deer run (not far) after shot! :up:

For defense, in the .40 G22 I use Black Talons and in the 9mm I use Ranger SXT's (primarily the same as Black Talons and made by same peeps)Hard as hell to find either of these anymore unless @ gun shows.
Hey did you know that SXT is an acronym for Same eXact Thing?(black talon) I don't know if this is true or not but if so you gotta give it to those guys at Winchester, that's a pretty good one.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Hey did you know that SXT is an acronym for Same eXact Thing?(black talon) I don't know if this is true or not but if so you gotta give it to those guys at Winchester, that's a pretty good one.
Ranger SXT is the same bullet as the old Black Talon...just without the Black :biggrin: When the Gummint told em to stop making the black Talon...they quit...and the next day the same bullet (SXT) without the black teflon coating was born.............Gotta Love em!!!:up::biggrin:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ranger SXT is the same bullet as the old Black Talon...just without the Black :biggrin: When the Gummint told em to stop making the black Talon...they quit...and the next day the same bullet (SXT) without the black teflon coating was born.............Gotta Love em!!!:up::biggrin:

Quite sure the bullets I have are Exactly the same b/c the SXT's are identical to the Black Talons I have! Black coating and all. Only thing that is different is the brass casing instead of the nickel coated casing. Gotta love winchester for making a Hell of a defense bullet! :up:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.