Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran onto a good little .17 HMR at a very fair deal..

I don't know much about the .17 HMR except the caliber and its rim fire.

What can you tell me about it, and what game can I hunt and kill with it ???

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
My dad and uncle both have one. You will have to try several different types of shells to find the one the gun likes. They shoot squirrels and yotes with theirs. It a good 100 yard squirrel gun, but you need to make head shoots.

·
Administrator
88,029 Posts
My son and I squirrel hunt with a 17HMR quite a bit. It's the only round I have ever chrono'd that actually shoots faster than factory spec. We shoot the Hornady 17 grain VMax bullet, the box says it shoots 2550 FPS and ours run just over 2600. We both shoot the Marlin 17VS rifles.

Shoot flat as a banjo string, absolutely no recoil, and you can see the hits in the scope. As was said above, if you use it for squirrels and are going to eat them then you need to do head shots only. As flat as it shoots, if you can see the squirrel, you can head shoot him. The 17HMR is a 22 Magnum necked down to 17 caliber.

We love ours!

This is a 5 shot 50 yard group shot several years ago. I shot another one just like it this past week. It'll shoot like this day in and day out.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, if I understand this right..

The .17 HMR is capable of killing animals up and including coyote's, without much of a problem...

With that, "IF" rim fire cartridges were legal for deer, then a well placed shot (head, neck) could/would even bring down a deer sized animal ..?

It is just a 22 mag. case necked down to the .17 cal., Right ?

I take it the .17 HMR has more range than the 22 mag., but are they also more accurate than the 22 mag..???

What is the (killing) range of a .17 HMR ???

·
Administrator
88,029 Posts
So, if I understand this right..

The .17 HMR is capable of killing animals up and including coyote's, without much of a problem... Some people use them for coyotes, I've heard mixed results. I've talked to people that say the coyote drops like it was hit with the hammer of Thor, others say they run off never to be seen again. What I've killed with mine have been raccoons, squirrels and crows.

With that, "IF" rim fire cartridges were legal for deer, then a well placed shot (head, neck) could/would even bring down a deer sized animal ..? I think the 17 grain VMax bullet would just give a nasty surface would. It's going fast but it's atiny bullet with very little energy

It is just a 22 mag. case necked down to the .17 cal., Right ? Yes

I take it the .17 HMR has more range than the 22 mag., but are they also more accurate than the 22 mag..??? I don't know about more range, but my 17's are more accurate than my 22 Mag. Others may have different results but that's my experience

What is the (killing) range of a .17 HMR ??? There again, light bullet, low energy. I'd say 100-125 yards or so, depending on the game. I shot a crow at 175 a few years ago and it "poofed" him.
My comments in RED :thumb:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it because of the 22 mag. case was necked down that the pressure was too much for the semi-automatics when the .17 HMR first came out.. ??

I know "NOW" that Marlin has a .17 HMR semi-auto out and is said to be able to digest the rounds safely...

But when the .17 HMR first came out Remington 597, and Ruger 10/17 both came out with their semi-autos and Hornady clamed it was not safe for the .17 HMR to be fired out of "ANY" semi-auto at that time...

But the same series of rifles were out and shooting the 22 mag. safely...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here lies the problem.. The gun that I purchased is one of the, semi-autos...

The guy that I got it from says that it shoots great, and he has not ever had a problem except for very seldom it does ruptures the hull, but it goes ahead and ejects the empty..

He says that once in a while when the case ruptures it causes enough of a delay that you have to manually reload the semi-auto again..

I thought about it and decided I would go ahead and purchase the little rifle. My thoughts on the matter is, in case of a major problem, the ejection port is on the right side of the rifle and I am right handed so it is away from me and my face...

What is your opinion on this matter ??

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
Is it because of the 22 mag. case was necked down that the pressure was too much for the semi-automatics when the .17 HMR first came out.. ??

I know "NOW" that Marlin has a .17 HMR semi-auto out and is said to be able to digest the rounds safely...

But when the .17 HMR first came out Remington 597, and Ruger 10/17 both came out with their semi-autos and Hornady clamed it was not safe for the .17 HMR to be fired out of "ANY" semi-auto at that time...

But the same series of rifles were out and shooting the 22 mag. safely...
Is it a savage?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went out and shot the little Remington 597 .17 HMR this afternoon and it shot like a dream...

One thing about it, the guy I bought it from had it already sighted in and all I had to do was to load and shoot it..

At 50 yards it printed a 5 shot group that a nickel would cover... The second 5 shot group I had a flyer, but still printed a group that a quarter would cover... I was in somewhat of a hurry with dark coming and I rushed shooting it and should have gave it a little longer between shots.

I think I have been missing something by not having/shooting the little .17 HMR

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
a little OT, but has anyone messed with the .17 WSM?

BTW, same experiences I had with the .17HMR, squirrels and rabbit mostly. Just too destructive. Head shot only. I hit a rabbit once a little low, he was facing directly away from me and I was aiming for the head. Went low. Hit the hind end. Literally split it open from head to hiney. I traded it for a .22WMR and use it mostly, that is, when I can hunt (rare). Still have to be careful where you hit them but it's considerably slower and doesn't seem to blow them up like the .17HMR does. Especially rabbits.

Went prairie dog hunting out in Colorado a number of years back and the .17HMR was awesome for that!

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
A 17 HMR can be used for the same things a 22WMR is used for. it is usually more accurate and flatter shooting. Has more range for small animals. On a coyote I would think they would have to be hit pretty good to kill them reliably.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.