Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from everyone what their favorite coyote/bobcat hunting cartridge is! If you have a personal setup that you hunt predators with, I would love to hear that as well! With the temp about to start dropping, coyotes and bobcats are going to be on the move looking for food. Me personally… I am really excited for that to start happening…👍.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Unfortunately the smallest center fire caliber I have is my daughters 7mm08. I really need to break down and purchase a .223 bolt action thats short and light. The 7mm08 works, just a little overkill.

·
Registered
16,289 Posts
I've used everything under the sun. 55g Nosler BT out of a 243 at 4k is hard on em. A 30 grainer out of a 17 Tac cruising at 4200 kills at all angles. At the end of the day a 52g Berger at 3800 out of a 250 is what I always go back too.

3800 is the speed you need to kill effectively. Any more you are burning your barrel. Any less you ain't killing them effectively.

Ain't no wrong caliber to kill a coyote.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I’m in agreement with quarterbore. It’s whatever weapon I have in my hand. Bow, muzzleloader or any gun I’m currently hunting with. If I’m specifically chasing them it’ll be with a .223.
7mag will make them drop in their tracks
Carnivore Plant Dog breed Fawn Terrestrial animal

Ruger .44 carbine will make a big hole
Carnivore Grass Dog breed Fawn Terrestrial animal

.223 is a good round for them too
Plant Air gun Wood Grass Shotgun

·
Registered
16,289 Posts
Old School 700 BDL Varmint Special - Winchester 64 gr. Hammers Deer 🦌. Winchester “ White box “ 45 gr. for varmints .
I use to use the 45g White Box exclusively. Prolly the best coyote killing round Ive ever used. I shot it out of a Model 7 and it was lights out on coyotes. I went to a Sako and it will shoot anything you feed it except White Box.

Helpful hint. The White Box says 4000fps but the best I could get was 3800 out of a custom 250 with Stiller action and 26" barrel. No way it will shoot 4k. In fact, I dont think there is any round that will shoot 4000 in a 250. Everyone thinks they will, but I promise they wont. For sure not with a 55g bullet, it just aint happening.

I challenge anyone making that claim to show me on a chrono. I will buy your lunch if you can do it. I would say my money is safe. ;) 4000 is no easy thing. The only rounds Ive dont it with was a 243 shooting a 55g and the 17 Tac shooting a 30g bullet. Both times I burnt the barrels slick out of em.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m in agreement with quarterbore. It’s whatever weapon I have in my hand. Bow, muzzleloader or any gun I’m currently hunting with. If I’m specifically chasing them it’ll be with a .223.
7mag will make them drop in their tracks
View attachment 333314
Ruger .44 carbine will make a big hole
View attachment 333315
.223 is a good round for them too View attachment 333316
That’s awesome! Beautiful dogs! Cat is exceptionally beautiful as well!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts