Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I had heard that there was a population of jaguars in New Mexico a few years ago. A couple of my buddies went rock climbing in the Dragoon mountains, and they heard a bunch of talk about jaguars. At that point I didnt know that they were still around. They swear up and down that they heard one roar one night, but I have my doubts.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Not for sure about any truth behind this or not, but that is an awesome picture. I just hope that the animal rights people, tree huggers, etc. don't start doing there with that cat, what they've done here cause of that woodpecker.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Yea they come up from old Mexico now and then. The animal rights people are already saying we can't have a fence on the border because it will interfer with the jaguar's travel patterns.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Yea they come up from old Mexico now and then. The animal rights people are already saying we can't have a fence on the border because it will interfer with the jaguar's travel patterns.
They are just playing follow the leader, maybe if we gave them some "greencards" or a "guest preadator permit" then it would be o.k. to have them here. :smack:

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I don't recall the publication, but one of the "big name" hunting magazines , and I feel certain it was "Sports Afield" did an article on jaguar populations in the SW states about 10-12 years ago.
They were reporting that sightings of jaguar by mountain lion hunters with dogs were increasing annually.... by now I would think there had to be some "resident migrants" in those states!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Not for sure about any truth behind this or not, but that is an awesome picture. I just hope that the animal rights people, tree huggers, etc. don't start doing there with that cat, what they've done here cause of that woodpecker.
What Woodpecker????:thumb:

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
I read a book a few years back on a young male jaguar that hounds treed in NM or AZ maybe in the late 80's or early 90's ? They had pictures etc of it, very much believable because they have a huge range, and the SW is very untamed still that would allow them to travel up from old Mexico now and again

a breedable population is highly unlikely, if they were there in numbers houndsmen would tree more than just one a decade or two

1 - 12 of 12 Posts