Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had to find it a friend... (Story first!)

I have been traveling quite a bit this last couple of weeks and things have been crazy. Flydown and I went to a great gathering in Poteau OK this last weekend for a big predator hunters gathering. There was much ado about this fun sport and got to meet a bunch of great guys and gals.

During the days, there were places to hunt in the area and in the afternoons and evenings there were seminars by the greats in the predator hunting industry (Including our very own Arkyyoter :thumb:). The sponsoring group was the Oklahoma Predator hunters Association.

While the hunting was light for flydown and I (mainly because of my work schedule) he did manage to find a perfect place to hunt while we were there. We didn't get anything for various reasons, but not because we didn't try though.

On the day that I got home, the weather looked right and I decided to make a stand in the back 40. It payed off, I was about to put the calls and guns up for the season since it has been somewhat dry with exception to Texas. So I drive 800 miles back and forth to OK 2 times, pay oodles of money for the hunt and the banquets. Get nothing but memories, then come home and do this.... (wouldn't have it any other way :biggrin: :biggrin: )

I got my 1st Grey fox. Which was also the 1st kill for this shotgun. :thumb:
Came rushing in and shot him at 10 yards. Never knew I was there.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all,

Yes that is a foxpro FX3 caller. At the time the camo'ed ones were out of stock. So in the interest of haste, I bought a black one. :smack: (Still works well though :biggrin: )

I was using a sounds foxpro called "Lighting Jack" and we don't have any jacks around here that I have seen. That didn't matter to him though. You would have thought it was a free buffet at the waffle house the way he was coming through the clearing. :thumb:

The gun is a Mossberg 835 "Tactical Turkey" in 12ga 3-1/2"mag. It comes with a "Ulti-turkey" choke and that is what it has had in it since I bought it over 2 years ago. Patterns great with T shot even out to 50 yards.

It certainly was worth the wait and you can't tell by the pictures, but he has the most perfect coat I have seen on one. He was a big male and smelled like .... well... a male with a purpose.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
That's too cool!!!

That's what I love about grey fox.... they come on and keep comin'!!!

The first time I put "Big Boy" on a grey fox, I literally had to shoot it at less than five yards. Big Boy got all wide-eyed and open mouthed when it came running right at him and he just froze up! I shot it and he just looked at me with that far away look and yelled "Did you see that $H!)!!!" at the top of his lungs!!!

Congrats bro!!!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone.

Joe, I just knew that I would end up seeing one in Oklahoma. Either that or a cat. Neither of which I would have the tag for.:smack: If i remember right the fox was out of season anyway there.

I can give Arkansas props for having that set right. At least we can take all 3 during the same season. Instead of picking and choosing throughout the year. Now if we can get Coyote season to be year round, that will be a good step forward.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Amen my friend.....maybe someday!!!

Maybe next year we can go to the same event and make a few stands...or heck, make some here or down your way!!!

Joe

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all,

The gun is a Mossberg 835 "Tactical Turkey" in 12ga 3-1/2"mag. It comes with a "Ulti-turkey" choke and that is what it has had in it since I bought it over 2 years ago. Patterns great with T shot even out to 50 yards.

It's no sissy gun either. It will hit like a mack truck. :smack:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts