Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Depending on how well they are built, and secured to what you can cut off, they are usually easy to tap lightly and the majority, if not all, will fall out( in cold weather, obviously). Be gentle with your tapping/shaking, or you’ll dislodge or tear the nest. I’ve never put it in a freezer. Most of the time, I shake out what falls out, then if I can get a large bag around it bring it in to let it warm up, take it back outside and open to see if there was any stragglers. Hang and enjoy. You can’t believe the conversation starters.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I personally don’t care for the bomb route, due to the odor, and dead insects possibly remaining inside. I can tell you of an experience when I was younger and in my beginning nest gatherer days. It was a fall archery elk hunt, warm weather, and no chance of getting cold before I left the area. So I took a can of that jet spray(20-25 ft or whatever advertised), and sprayed inside and around the hole good. The hornets made about a 3” hole in the top of the hive and vacated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts