Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,575 Posts
Not to argue, but I do know a guy that found a big nest who thought it looked really good draped across his elk mount in his living room.
That is until his house was swarming with hornets a couple days later.
When I was in high school my grandad found one while hunting one cold day and brought it home for me to take to science class. It warmed up the next week and they started crawling out. Luckily it was still under his carport and I hadn’t picked it up yet.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
I had one that I shot out of a tree and sealed it up in a trash bag. Put it in a closet and after a few days it had hornets buzzing in the bag. Only about 7 or 8 hornets in a nest the size of OP's. It was December when I got it.

· Registered
2,714 Posts
I had one that I shot out of a tree and sealed it up in a trash bag. Put it in a closet and after a few days it had hornets buzzing in the bag. Only about 7 or 8 hornets in a nest the size of OP's. It was December when I got it.
We had a hornet nest by a pond of ours one year.
My dad wanted it for decoration in his house.
We waited until winter- then my brother and I cut it down for him and put it in his truck (with the heater on)
We thought all was good until the hornets warmed up. I’ve never seen my dad move that quickly to evacuate his truck.

· Registered
2,032 Posts
Depending on how well they are built, and secured to what you can cut off, they are usually easy to tap lightly and the majority, if not all, will fall out( in cold weather, obviously). Be gentle with your tapping/shaking, or you’ll dislodge or tear the nest. I’ve never put it in a freezer. Most of the time, I shake out what falls out, then if I can get a large bag around it bring it in to let it warm up, take it back outside and open to see if there was any stragglers. Hang and enjoy. You can’t believe the conversation starters.

· Registered
2,032 Posts
I personally don’t care for the bomb route, due to the odor, and dead insects possibly remaining inside. I can tell you of an experience when I was younger and in my beginning nest gatherer days. It was a fall archery elk hunt, warm weather, and no chance of getting cold before I left the area. So I took a can of that jet spray(20-25 ft or whatever advertised), and sprayed inside and around the hole good. The hornets made about a 3” hole in the top of the hive and vacated.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not to argue, but I do know a guy that found a big nest who thought it looked really good draped across his elk mount in his living room.
That is until his house was swarming with hornets a couple days later.
Man i just googled it lol was not trying to be a smart alec and sometimes expierence is the best teacher. You guys had me paranoid on the drive back. I always wanted one found a smaller one a couple years ago and when i went to try and get it someone hade beat me to it. Another one I saw that was twice the size of this one got blown up probaly by a shotgun. Kinda scarce and just about every good outdoorsman Ive met has one in their man cave lol.
That is an awesome gun, if I had to replace my 30.30 I’d want that one. How do you like it?
I really like it. It has become my favorite firearm and rather carry it then my bar in the woods. It is really accurate too and built like a tank. The sights are the skinner peep sights and are really good but my eyesight is bad so most likely I will always keep 50 yards and under. Ruger is really doing right by marlin and the build quality is top notch. Maybe next year if I can afford it id really like the 1985 guide gun. I picked one of those up and it is a tank too. My pawnshop has a remington built marlin with about a 22 inch barrel and I think ruger is on another level
producing these guns.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts