Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
14,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that AR turkey season is over (for most of us), I'm just curious how most would rank the season as far as the turkey population is concerned. Better or worse than last year? Do you think the birds are rebounding or is the population still on the down swing?
The only place I hunted this year that I have a good basis of comparison for is Madison Co WMA. And of course, I dont hunt there any more than I have to. I'd say there wasnt as many birds in the areas I hunt as there was last year there. I didnt hear as many, and I didn't see near the sign.

·
Registered
13,216 Posts
Well, I'm mystified. I hunt in Sharp Co. I was seeing more turkey sign than I've seen in five years. Back in February during bow season, you couldn't step in one of our food plots without steeping on turkey poop! I was bumping turkeys or seeing them every time I hunted in December, January and February! I knew exactly where 6 gobblers were hanging out. I just knew I was at least going to get a shot at a bird but all I've seen is a hen and only heard about 5 or 6 different gobblers mostly way off of our property and no sign left in the food plots!:confused: I've hunted the last three week ends!
Signed,
Used to Have High Hopes

·
Administrator
41,150 Posts
Id rank it pretty low.

I got lucky opening day but thats the only turkey that I heard gobble.

I only hunted 4 days and gave up.

It just aint spring turkey huntin' to me when you cant hunt em till the good part is over.

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
Worse ever for me in the Ouahitas- I hunted about 4 or 5 days and heard 1 gobbler gobble 3 times- I was fortunate to take a young gobbler but it was pitiful this year up there- usually the cabins at 27 are full this year you could get one even on a weekend! I am glad I spent one of my weeks out of state and next year both my weeks will be out of state Turkey hunting!

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2011-2012
801 Posts
Where we hunt in madison county there are "ALOT" more bird than have been the last few years but I know up the road a few miles it may seem worse to the next guy.

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
Worst I have ever seen!
I killed a nice bird in Johnson County last year and Missed one. Saw two more Gobblers, and let 8 Jakes walk. Same place this year, no Gobbles, none. NO sign, nothing. Nothing but dang hog tracks everywhere!:smack:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
This was the worst season I have ever had for getting on gobbling birds. I hunted five day, including today, and only hunted one bird. He was the only bird that would gobble. He was hunted byat least five other guys and he will not do anything right. I have called hens off him, been close enough to see him fly off the roost. I have setup on him under 75 yards gobbling mid-morning and called hens away from him and he still won't budge:banghead: . I will be hunting out of state more in the future. Last year we had birds running everywhere, we killed five in three days of hunting. I was seeing flocks of birds all fall and winter, as many as 80 birds at a time:head: . So where did they go.

Boom

·
Registered
15 Posts
taxman

Worst season ever. Never got a bird to work to a call. I hunt in Fulton Co. in North AR and we had no acorns at all. When I had a feeder going with a game camera nearby, I had around 30 turkeys coming to the feeder, as well as feeding in food plots. As soon as I emptied feeders, the birds left. I saw 6 gobblers, around 10 jakes and several hens around feeders. Never saw a bird on my property during season. I believe the feeders are not a good thing at all.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hate to bust up the pity party, but I heard more gobbles and saw more gobblers this season than in the last few. I would have to say I had a great season.

Killed my first at 7:32 a.m. the first Wednesday and tagged out a week ago today. All in Pulaski County. Went to Searcy County the second weekend and never heard a gobble, so it was not always great.

Both Gobblers were good birds. First was 20.6 lbs 8.5 inch beard 1 inch spurs.
Second was 18.2 lbs 10.25 inch beard 1 inch and .75 inch spurs.

For some reason the hooks don't grow real big out there.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I was lucky and killed my 2 gobblers but it was a tough year. Up in the mountains, the gobbling was for and few between turkeys. More hunters then ever. Next year I will not be going on a Saturday. I will wait till monday.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I can't complain too much, i heard several birds, but everyone was a short-talker and would not cooperate.

I think this board needs to come together and do something to push the AGFC to hire a good turkey biologist and turkey team that is devoted to helping the turkey. Currently all we have are some turkeys managing the turkeys

·
Premium Member
7,849 Posts
i got on a bird opening morning, and had to leave him for t-ball:smack:

i got on him again the next morning, and he was off the lease, so i left. :smack:

next hunt was an afternoon foodplot hunt where a bird had been for about 3 days. landowners hand decides to control burn the 80 acres that afternoon.:smack:

2nd weekend, me and Mohunter went to the mtns. had 4 birds answering saturday,before some of bubba g's peckerwood buddies decided to walk past us and set up closer to the birds, who were less than 100 yards away.:smack:

day 2 in the mtns there was 6 folks waiting for them to gobble when we got there. heard one other bird gobble about three times then crickets chirping...:smack:

but, i only kill one every couple of years any way, so, it was about par for me. BG12

·
Super Moderator
9,835 Posts
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the worst ever, and 10 being the best. I give it a 2.

I am incredibly disapointed. I hunted for numerous hours and didn't hear a bird, or see a bird one.

I only gave it a 2 because I want to reserve 1 for any even worse season next year. If it sucks this bad then, I might quit turkey hunting until somebody, somewhere, gets a clue on how to manage them.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.