Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last 10 days to 2 weeks the COE has been running water out of Bull Shoals and Norfork lakes really hard. The flow out of Bull Shoals into the White has been as high as I've ever seen it and hopefully will continue. A couple of more weeks of drier weather coupled with lake releases just might get the lake level down to around "FULL POOL". Makes one wonder if phone calls to Congress-critters have been made by lakeside business/marina owners as well as floating dock owners.

·
Registered
621 Posts
In case you are not already aware, the COE can't just release water at will to satisfy local businessess. The water released from those two lakes have direct effects on everyone downstream in the White all the way to the Mississippi including the Cache River in some cases. There are very specific regulations re the White River level downstream that govern water releases from the upstream dams. If you haven't checked, the White is already extremely high and has been for some time.

If memory serves me right, this time of year they have to manage to no greater than 28' on the Clarendon WR gauge. That goes down to 25' in either May or June I believe. I used Clarendon as an example as that is the one I follow.

·
Premium Member
26,806 Posts
In case you are not already aware, the COE can't just release water at will to satisfy local businessess. The water released from those two lakes have direct effects on everyone downstream in the White all the way to the Mississippi including the Cache River in some cases. There are very specific regulations re the White River level downstream that govern water releases from the upstream dams. If you haven't checked, the White is already extremely high and has been for some time.

If memory serves me right, this time of year they have to manage to no greater than 28' on the Clarendon WR gauge. That goes down to 25' in either May or June I believe. I used Clarendon as an example as that is the one I follow.
This, exactly. There are a lot of folks within the Corps that devise these water control plans, with huge amounts of data included to determine what effects water releases have all the way up and down the system, taking into account not only flood control concerns, but hydropower, water supply, and recreation - among others. For every call to a congressman by a marina owner above the dam requesting water to be released is duplicated by a trout dock owner downstream begging for the water to stop. And then Mother Nature doesnt always play fair, either.

Reminds me of a Fishin Hole show I saw one time, Jerry McKinnis hosting and then Indiana Basketball Coach Bobby Knight as guest fisherman. McKinnis said to Bobby - “That has got to be a really tough job, coaching a bunch of college kids and being among the elite teams every year”. Bobby answered - “No, not really - there are four million people in Indiana that think they can do better”. ;)

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
This, exactly. There are a lot of folks within the Corps that devise these water control plans, with huge amounts of data included to determine what effects water releases have all the way up and down the system, taking into account not only flood control concerns, but hydropower, water supply, and recreation - among others. For every call to a congressman by a marina owner above the dam requesting water to be released is duplicated by a trout dock owner downstream begging for the water to stop. And then Mother Nature doesnt always play fair, either.

Reminds me of a Fishin Hole show I saw one time, Jerry McKinnis hosting and then Indiana Basketball Coach Bobby Knight as guest fisherman. McKinnis said to Bobby - “That has got to be a really tough job, coaching a bunch of college kids and being among the elite teams every year”. Bobby answered - “No, not really - there are four million people in Indiana that think they can do better”. ;)
Like him or not, you've got to respect Bobby Knight. Dude always said what was on his mind. You never had to wonder what he was thinking.

·
Registered
26,743 Posts

Pretty sure that you explained that last time we did this but I may be misremembering

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Over the last 10 days to 2 weeks the COE has been running water out of Bull Shoals and Norfork lakes really hard. The flow out of Bull Shoals into the White has been as high as I've ever seen it and hopefully will continue. A couple of more weeks of drier weather coupled with lake releases just might get the lake level down to around "FULL POOL". Makes one wonder if phone calls to Congress-critters have been made by lakeside business/marina owners as well as floating dock owners.
Maybe you won't have to front your boat down the ramp after all.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, I get hammered when I say the COE did good as well as when I complain. I think you guys like to hammer, regardless of the opinion. Regardless of the river levels, the COE has been dumping LOTS of water into the White for the last 10 days to a week.

·
Premium Member
26,806 Posts
Damn, I get hammered when I say the COE did good as well as when I complain. I think you guys like to hammer, regardless of the opinion. Regardless of the river levels, the COE has been dumping LOTS of water into the White for the last 10 days to a week.
I can assure you, my explanation was not meant to "hammer" anyone - but just to help explain how all this happens. I worked at a COE reservoir for many years. Not only does the Corps have flood control responsibilities, they also provide water to public and private water supply's, they have recreation responsibilities, hydropower, probably provide a minimum flow for downstream fisheries, etc. Most Govt entities are pretty well maligned - the Corps more than most. Believe me, you never satisfy everyone. If often seemed to me, we satisfied no one. The Corps has no desire to flood their own facilities in all the recreation areas and have to replace materials and rebuild everything. I know when water levels on the project where I worked got well up in flood stage, we were required to inspect all the instrumentation in the dam every two hours - round the clock. That meant walking up 221 steps inside the dam every two hours. (good practice for turkey season). While the local citizens were all snug in their beds, we were walking stairs, checking instrumentation, making sure they were safe. Chances are pretty good, that the employees at the local office are not the ones that devised the flood control or water release plans.

And, I have lived on property adjoining COE while retired for the past ten years. I have been on both sides of fence on this one. As a private citizen, I sure dont approve of everything the Corps does. I have even called the local office and had a few discussions with them in the past, too. So I understand your frustration. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
You're not native to Arkansas. Are ya?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Some of these guys just like to troll and drift threads. Sickening really.

·
Premium Member
24,055 Posts
Welcome to the Family...

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
while controlling the lake level is a good thing, those that live or fish downstream of the dams aren't really ecstatic. I'd like to have gone a couple days last week but way too much water for me and my little rig! Running water over the GFD spillway for the last couple weeks, ended yesterday I think. The water's warming up and warmer water coming over the dam isn't nice for trout fishing. So I got a few things done around the house-and on the boat (finally) instead of fishing. I might miss the crappie spawn too but no big deal. I'll load up in the summer when everyone else is sitting at the house waiting for dove season and the fall crappie run.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts