Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not real big into hunting public stuff this morning but I tried it today. I got to the hole first and set up and about 30 minutes later some guys set up about 60 yards through the woods. When daylight came they called non stop and I mean whaling on it. Well then everytime we would get ducks to work they'd shoot at them and after that wasn't enough when they was leaving they walked right through our hole and emptied their guns on somthing, I'm not sure what. After that they let their dog walk through the jerk string which I understood and untangled him. They didnt say anything just looked straight ahead. Well after that we had our bags and guns on a log and they let the dog get up there and it knocked one of my buddies guns off in the water. They guy didn't say I'm sorry or anything he picked it up and said y'all shouldn't put these guns here facing towards me and kept on walking.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
All these public land stories have one thing in common. No one actually talks to the group that they are complaining about. Why not go over and educate them on the proper way to hunt public land? I know someone of y'all will say " they don't wanna hear it". But honestly 99% of fellas in the woods are good people and will listen if you approach them in the right way. Maybe these guys don't know the right way you could've educated them. And if they do know they right way and are just A holes, then maybe they will thing twice about doing it again if someone calls them out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The problem with approaching them is proven in my thread about skybusting. everybody says "shoot a couple shells at em" etc. When I lived in fl we actually had that happen and got the front of the boat peppered. you cant just walk up/ride up to some of these people because they want to be hard a**s most of the time. you gotta be careful out there, especially since it only takes one hill billy trying to be cool in front of his buddies.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The problem with approaching them is proven in my thread about skybusting. everybody says "shoot a couple shells at em" etc. When I lived in fl we actually had that happen and got the front of the boat peppered. you cant just walk up/ride up to some of these people because they want to be hard a**s most of the time. you gotta be careful out there, especially since it only takes one hill billy trying to be cool in front of his buddies.
I've never heard of a duck hunter killing another. Most people in this world a good people.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I used to go into the woods as soon as I could to try to beat other guys to the areas. Most of the time someone would come in close and skybust. Now when I go to a certain WMA, I try to get away from other people. If I see a light I go a different direction.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've never heard of a duck hunter killing another. Most people in this world a good people.
A couple guys got there boat and decoys shot up for shot chasing last year on the St.Francis..I was a couple holes down when it happened..luckily nobody was hurt the ole boys got in some big time trouble over it..you can always run up on the wrong person don't for a second you can't!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
A couple guys got there boat and decoys shot up for shot chasing last year on the St.Francis..I was a couple holes down when it happened..luckily nobody was hurt the ole boys got in some big time trouble over it..you can always run up on the wrong person don't for a second you can't!
How come I didn't see a news story about it or at the very least at post on the waterfowl forum?

Sounds like one of those my neighbors cousin mailman type deals.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I'm not real big into hunting public stuff this morning but I tried it today. I got to the hole first and set up and about 30 minutes later some guys set up about 60 yards through the woods. When daylight came they called non stop and I mean whaling on it. Well then everytime we would get ducks to work they'd shoot at them and after that wasn't enough when they was leaving they walked right through our hole and emptied their guns on somthing, I'm not sure what. After that they let their dog walk through the jerk string which I understood and untangled him. They didnt say anything just looked straight ahead. Well after that we had our bags and guns on a log and they let the dog get up there and it knocked one of my buddies guns off in the water. They guy didn't say I'm sorry or anything he picked it up and said y'all shouldn't put these guns here facing towards me and kept on walking.
And y'all just let them go on without saying anything??

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't believe they shot anyone's boat up. I've asked several groups over the years to back off and they sit there silent and stare like sloths. I don't believe for a second these people don't know what they're doing. Public land is over run with idiots.

I'm going to hunt public Monday and Tuesday for the 1st time in 5 years and I've been mentally preparing myself. I know what to expect as most of us do.

I think whoever got to the spot first legally should sit there and the others should move on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.