Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a picture I found of a very good DEER WEINER DOG!

This weiner dog has probably scored more deer than some still hunters!!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little more weiner dog...........well these noble little lap dogs really don't deserve to be compared to a weiner!!
Dachshunds information.

Read the last trivia part:wink: Badgers are mean suckers.......think these little dogs go after them.

Breed Information: Dachshund
By Ellen Brown
Breed Description: Dachshunds come in two sizes, standard and miniature, and three types of coats: smooth-haired, longhaired and wirehaired. The breed is easily distinguished by its low, long muscular body and disproportionately stubby legs-perfect for moving about in the tunnel or den of a badger. Despite their lapdog status, this breed has stamina and agility and displays great courage.
Group: Hound group

Purpose of Breed: Hunting badgers

Country of Origin: Germany

Average Size: Standard Dachshunds are 8 inches and weigh 16-32 pounds. Miniature Dachshunds are 6 inches and usually weigh under 11 pounds.

Color(s): Dachshunds can be any colors, except white.

Coat Type: Standard and Miniature Dachshunds have three coat types. The smooth- haired coat is short and shiny, the longhaired coat is of medium length and slightly wavy and the wirehaired coat is thick and hard.

Grooming: The longhaired and wirehaired coat varieties require more grooming. In general, Dachshunds are medium shedders, have very little dog odor and need less bathing than most other small breeds. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: Dachshunds do well in apartments as long as they get a moderate amount of daily exercise to prevent obesity. They are naturally suspicious and tend to bark at strangers.

Temperament: Dachshund's are lively little dogs with an independent nature and playful spirit. They tend to bond deeply with one person, and although they love to play, they often do so by their own sets of rules. This breed is highly intelligent, but their independent nature can make them a bit mischievous and difficult to train. Still, they are loyal and affectionate and make wonderful companions.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to genetic eye disease, disc and skin problems and obesity.

Life Expectancy: Can be long-lived,up to 16 years.

Trivia: Dachshund's were originally bred for hunting badgers. Translated from German, the name means Dachs (badgers), hund (dog).

·
Registered
353 Posts
I will have to post a pic of our little deer hunter. I thought our lab was pretty decent tracker till she came along last year by chance. She follwed that deer within about a foot either side of the trail and would have killed it if i had not already shot it. She did not know what to think about it, but sure did not like it laying there on the ground! Weenie dogs rule - and for those of you that do not know it, ours LOVES the water and even has her own little dummies. She will not retrieve as long as our lab, but will go get a few. She thinks she is a lab (we have not told her different)

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,789 Posts
Them noble little house dogs need their glory too! Remember that the next time you have reached your wit's end....tap into the resource of "every dog has his day"!:thumb:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just want to see one of them going toe to toe with a badger!!!!!!:eek:

Thanks to beltcutter I have a new respect for them:thumb:

·
53,789 Posts
I just want to see one of them going toe to toe with a badger!!!!!!:eek:

Thanks to beltcutter I have a new respect for them:thumb:
Them leetle short legs is the factor that was bred into these little badger getters....they can run right in that badger den, and grab that bad boy by the booboo!:thumb:....if you cut their ears short and give'um their long legs back...they look just like a doberman!!:eek:

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
Them leetle short legs is the factor that was bred into these little badger getters....they can run right in that badger den, and grab that bad boy by the booboo!:thumb:....if you cut their ears short and give'um their long legs back...they look just like a doberman!!:eek:
LOL John...:thumb:

I call Weenky my "sawed off Rottweiler." She thinks she's bad when I mess with her "mommy." She's nine years old, and on the day we lose her I'll have to put mommy on sedatives. I'll probably have to take one or two myself.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John ......what a image you just put in mind:hair:

A little dachshund clamped down on a badgers a** dragging that mean turd out of his hole!!!!!!:hair: :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Have any of you fellows ever tried your weiner dog out on trailing up a lost deer? I have a minature/mix dog that loves it when I bring a deer home. When I'm cutting it up, she will eat scraps till she cant hardley move. I had thought about trying her out, but I never have.

·
53,789 Posts
I didn't have a clue they could track deer and bears and badgers.
What, you don't remember me advising, boocoo posts ago; that anyone having trouble locating a deer they lost, should go get a house-dog and tap into the most over-looked resource we have in the hunting world? I saw a toy poodle track a wounded deer to the ground many years ago....made a believer outta me!:confused:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Have any of you fellows ever tried your weiner dog out on trailing up a lost deer? I have a minature/mix dog that loves it when I bring a deer home. When I'm cutting it up, she will eat scraps till she cant hardley move. I had thought about trying her out, but I never have.
Ours found my deer last year almost as fast as I did and I watched it fall. They work!!! Best little untrained tracker i ever fooled with

1 - 20 of 32 Posts