Wedington wma

Discussion in 'AG&F News and Comments' started by shane32, Dec 9, 2012.

1. shane32

shane32 Well-Known Member

Why r there cows out here

2. ozark outdoorsman

ozark outdoorsman Account Suspended

Surely, they are escaped from a neighbors ground. I don't believe grazing is allowed on any WMA. Years ago, the AGFC had occasional problems with folks free range graazing their cattle on WMA's but i haven't heard of this is quite some time.

I'm curiuous to see what kind of replies you will get.

3. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the field before the high line poles?

4. shane32

nope the fields in the nw corner were it always floods they r crossing the river counted 15 this morning cow patties everywhere

5. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

They are in there time from time I know where you talking about and last I recall GF doesn't have that field.

6. shane32

its on wedington hunted there 3 years in a row its where u go past pedro creek on 412 and at the top of the hill make a left on road follow that till u get to where the old bridge crosses illinois river go around curve turn right go to the end of that road wedington gates back there even talk to the game wardens back there this year

7. dchamb

dchamb Well-Known Member

NWA
    From what I have always understood the gf leases some of the pastures out there to cattle farmers. There's multiple fields on the south end that all have cows but all these fields are within the wma

8. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Yep GF just leases that and due to the drought up here I bet that they turn the cows loose to save on feeding hay. We had to do the samething.

9. ozark outdoorsman

ozark outdoorsman Account Suspended

Surely not, WMA's shoud not be allowed to be grazed by private cattle.

10. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

It's a WMA but, they lease some of the land and I bet that the owner and GF came to a agreement on it.

11. clayton273

clayton273 Well-Known Member

A friends family leases land for cattle in Wedington. They lease from the Forrest Service, not AGFC.

12. grits and gravy

grits and gravy Well-Known Member

ozarks
    Wedington wma is us forest service land. The agfc manages it as best as possible, but the usfs has rules about how it can be done. Agfc is only allowed to use specified plants in fields and food plots. The timber is subjct to be logged by usfs. Usfs does cattle grazing leases. Agfc is not allowed to use herbicides or fertilizer on food plots. If agfc was allowed to manage as they do on agfc land. That place would have some huge bucks. As it stands with usfs regs, the number of large bucks will always be limited due to poor food sources.

13. dchamb

dchamb Well-Known Member

NWA
    Anyone hunted out there this week? Was trying to figure out if morning or evening has been better recently. Contemplating whether to go tomorrow or not. Supposed to be bad windy tomorrow

14. shane32

Im going tomorrow afternoon

15. grits and gravy

ozarks
    I have been out there scouting quite a bit for next year. I am seeing tons of active scrapes and still seeing bucks chasing does.

16. shane32

Where r u hunting I can't find them

17. AF2007

AF2007 Well-Known Member

The forest service leases to owners. Bunch of land in the north east section where no one goes has cattle.

18. shane32

Well I hunt the nw corner and always seen 15 or 20 cows

19. CRA

CRA Member

Anyone have any idea where I can get a detailed map of the Weddington WMA? The map on the AGFC site is showing land that should be part of the WMA but when I went out there it was marked with purple paint.

20. grits and gravy

ozarks
    The only surefire way to find out the boundry is to get a plat book and look up the owner. If it is wedington it will say usfs. Otherwise it is private. The agfc has very detailed maps of its own property, but since this is usfs it does not