Wax problem

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by trapperman1985, Dec 27, 2010.

1. trapperman1985

trapperman1985 Well-Known Member

I bought a new set of double coils this year because I have been out of trapping for a few years now. I went through the normal routine of rebuilding the traps after receiving them and boiled them to get the oils out of the metal. I floated the trap wax on water and pulled the traps up through them. Within one week all of them had rust on them and I hadn't even put them out yet. Any suggestions? What am I forgeting?

2. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    I havent had and luck putting wax over my dye. I do them separately. But since they are rusted good now, why not die and rewax?

3. Damascus-Doug

Damascus-Doug Well-Known Member

I dye my traps then wax them. I get the wax nice and hot and just dip it.

4. fisherman

fisherman Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne

x2 Take them right out of the dye while there nice and hot and dip them in hot wax.

5. jwr

jwr Well-Known Member

rison
    never dip wet traps in wax, the wax will splatter and burn ya,

6. trapperman1985

I usually dye them only if I am water trapping and do not wax them then. I am only land trapping this year. I guess I'm going to have to dip them in pure wax rather than float the wax and pull them through. I guess the water stuck to the trap under the wax as it was pulled through.

7. jwr

jwr Well-Known Member

rison
    you ever tried f 1? all i use now.

8. fisherman

fisherman Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne

Thats why you use bolling water to dye with ,when you pull the traps out they are so hot that the water drys right off then you can dip them, hot traps don't get a big build up of wax just a thin coat.

9. the Black Spot

the Black Spot Well-Known Member

don't forget to leave the traps in the wax long enough to become the same temperature as the wax. that way the wax won't be clumpy when they dry.
    as jwr said, formula one is great stuff. so is speed dip and a gallon of camp fuel mixed in.

10. trapperman1985

I have used speed dip before but not the f 1. I will have to look that up. I am going to give them another go in a day or so and see what happens.

11. bloody acorns

bloody acorns Well-Known Member

When you use deadfalls no need to wax the rock

12. jwr

jwr Well-Known Member

rison
    mix f1 3 to 1, dip twice, set tomorrow.

Ive decided your a idiot.

13. Mark Penn

Mark Penn Well-Known Member

lol

14. Damascus-Doug

Damascus-Doug Well-Known Member

I think he was actually being funny but I found this to be funnier! :fit::fit:

15. jwr

jwr Well-Known Member

rison
    the post about the deadfall just hit me wrong, what if that had been a kid wantin to try it, that idiot hollering go ahead, itll be ok,

16. bloody acorns

Idiot

Yeah be ashamed if someone mashed a finger or toe - do you keep the riule book byt the toilet or is it committed to memory

17. jwr

jwr Well-Known Member

rison
    had to learn it as its a pretty important part of my job

18. bloody acorns

Question

Your work for Terminix?