water set or dry set

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by fisherman, Dec 12, 2010.

1. fisherman

fisherman Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne

When trapping coons along a creek which do you prefer or like better a water set or dry set and which produces better and or bigger coons?

2. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    I prefer dry coons, and catch the big ones far from water, but I also catch most in PVC sets along creek, and run them down a drowner.

3. fisherman

fisherman Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne

Only been trapping 2 years, don't know what a pvc set is, can you explain or give a site with a pic?

4. neotoxo

neotoxo Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner

PVC set in the water at an angle with the trap attached to a drowner underneath...you can see the trap on the bottom here in this pic...

[​IMG]

5. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    Yep, look above. I use this as my main set on dry land and in water. I usually drive mine into a cut bank above the water line at a 90 degree angle to the water. I also use them like above on dry land and where the bank is not cut. Stuff the PVC with a marshmallow and I use shellfish oil when it gets real cold or regular fish oil in warmer weather, put it on the marshmallow, and make a short trail leading the the pipe. Thats how I do it. FWIW

6. delta hunter

delta hunter Well-Known Member

You'll catch some big coon around the water but most your big boar are caught well away from water. I catch most of my big boar coon around my deer feeders or incidental in a coyote set. If you're trapping around the creek bank the simplest is the PVC set or a pocket set. The pocket set just dig a little pocket in the bank right at the water line where the coon can't get to it from above. Put some fish scraps or sardines in the pocket & place your trap in the water below the pocket. You can catch lots of coon with that set & an occasional mink. Good luck!! :up:

7. POPSBOY

POPSBOY Well-Known Member

Trail sets in or near water work great. Use sticks on each side to guide Coons and a stepping stick across on one side of trap. Coon steps over stepping stick and on trap. No scent needed , but some type of fish scent can't hurt. I catch more with this set than any other.:wink::up: