Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one for you snake experts...
I floated the Kings River with a couple buddies on Saturday. A guy in a boat downstream from me said "Dang, look at this mocassin." I look down there and there's a snake rolling on top of the water right next to his canoe, but it looked really light brown, almost red. I told him that it had to be a water snake being that color, but it sure was acting like a cottonmouth.
Well, my buddy floated on by and the snake just kinda hung out there in the water. I floated by and got within about 10ft of it. I wanted a good look. Sure enough, I have no doubt it was a water mocassin (cottonmouth). It's head was the right shape, the pattern was the right shape, it sat on top of the water with it's head up... but it was really light colored. There wasnt any black on it at all. It almost looked more like a copperhead.
All of the water mocassins I've seen have always been dark colored. Have yall ever seen one like this?

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Was it this light?

I'd say it was a little lighter than that, but the markings were definitely not as dark

I did a little digging online, and I found this pic by googling "albino cottonmouth." This is about spot-on. However, I wonder if it's not more melanistic than albino. I wonder what the odds are of seeing another one like that around?

·
Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2
6,257 Posts
The young ones are lighter. Like in the pictures above. You can tell by the eyes, if you're brave enough to get close enough. A cottonmouth has the two different colors in its eyes as does the pigmy rattlesnake.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
I'd say it was a little lighter than that, but the markings were definitely not as dark

I did a little digging online, and I found this pic by googling "albino cottonmouth." This is about spot-on. However, I wonder if it's not more melanistic than albino. I wonder what the odds are of seeing another one like that around?
I saw one that looked alot like that up at Mammoth Spring about two weeks ago. Dang near stepped on that sucker!
I made two movements! A bowel movement and a running movement!:biggrin: It went straight into the water. I don't know who was scared worse, me or the snake. We both went in opposite directions as fast as we could. :thumb:

·
Registered
423 Posts
A juvenile cottonmouth looks kinda like a copperhead and the tip of the tail will be chartruse. I've never seen a cottonmoth like that,guess it could be some type of albino, one thing for sure, it looks MEAN!

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did ya pop him up side the head with Ore???
I thought about it. I decided if he rolled up next to the boat (like he did to my buddy) he was getting the sharp side of the paddle, but I wasnt gonna go chase after him.
I always see a ton of water snakes when I'm canoeing, but that's one of only a handful of actual mocassins I've ever seen on the rivers (Elk, Buffalo, Kings, Crooked Creek) up here. I've seen more on the smaller lakes around. Then I went to Wabbeseka for a dove hunt one year... I probably say more mocassins that weekend than I've ever seen altogether.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I saw a snake like that. Durn near orange the colors were so bright. It had a fish in it's mouth. It took off as soon as I stepped near it. I just assumed it was a copperhead...in the water. :skeptical:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.