Water at Bayou Meto

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by CrappieMaster220, Dec 24, 2010.

1. CrappieMaster220

CrappieMaster220 Well-Known Member

I was in Upper Vallier yesterday and I noticed that the gates are open, and the water is dropping out pretty quickly... I had someone tell me that the AGFC wants bayou meto to be dry because they are concerned that all the water this past few years is rotting the roots and creating too many blowdowns... If you look around down there, there are a bunch of trees down...

Any truth to this? Anyone else heard this?

There is only a very small section of Upper Vallier that actually has water, and if your hunting it, you can see other guys hunting through the trees... Everyone is on top of each other....

2. Citybuck

Citybuck Well-Known Member

Not sure at Upper, but the gates at lower boat ditch were shut and had plenty of room for some rain.

3. CutDown

CutDown Well-Known Member

My guess, and it's just that a guess, is that IF the gates are open @ upper it is b/c the water is falling out so fast they are letting the water in upper into lower to at least have "a little" bit of flooded ground for birds....

4. sunny b

sunny b Well-Known Member

thats spot on....we need RAIN or it'll be over before it got started!!! and Im off all next month....may have to cancel that if stays this way....:smack:

5. 9oclockflytime

9oclockflytime Well-Known Member

This...

6. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

I need a boat to get in bayou meto?

7. Black OpsThe legend

Black OpsThe legend Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>www.blackopsduckcalls.c

The gates at Upper are open until Lower gets 100% flooded, once lower is 100% they'll close em to get upper ready, but is a constant open and close til it's right.....Probably not gonna happen this year, and like SunnyB said, if we don't get a rain we're all but done, pretty much there now!!!

8. Black OpsThe legend

It's so bad right now the Game and Fish report shows upper with more water than Lower:smack:

9. alphamax32

alphamax32 Well-Known Member

Think ima start fishing,I dun wo myself out duck hunting this year.

10. sunny b

sunny b Well-Known Member

alot of walking aint it!!!!:cool:

11. Black OpsThe legend

yep, and it sucks!!!!

12. shiftymcfive01

shiftymcfive01 Super Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2013

finally be able to bow hunt where I want again

13. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

Not for the upper you don't, just stay out of the channel during the boat race:biggrin:

14. duinbb

duinbb Well-Known Member

BB
    The woods flood from the lower up . Our main source of water is the salt ditches not little bayou :up:

15. YellanMan

YellanMan Well-Known Member

You can walk across brushy, barely over wast deep and that was a week ago.

16. skip1411

skip1411 Well-Known Member

I finally have built up the nerve to go to bayou meto. Bought a canoe from a friend yesterday. I had a map of bayou meto I got it wet and it has smeared. Where is the walk in area or could you point me in the right direction. With this rain i'm sure there is a little water.

17. skip1411

skip1411 Well-Known Member

Nevermind found another map.

18. Ducks and Dogs

Ducks and Dogs Well-Known Member

no joke 6 of the 10 inches of water in lower has fallen out since christmas! :head: :banghead:

19. arkansasbowhunter

arkansasbowhunter Member<br>2006 Spring Turkey Team Contest Winner

Anyone know why water has gone from lower. Water fell out quick since xmas. Can't say it evaporated that quick.