Watch out with your horns!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ArkArcher, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

If you shoot a buck, be careful with the horns! My dad shot (what he thought was a doe) and come to find out, it was a buck that had already dropped his horns. :eek: Seems kind of early to me. Oh, this was in Grant Co.

2. TheBattman

TheBattman Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

I have a question that relates to this, and I think it has been discussed a little in the past...

So you shoot what you think is a doe - and walk up to find that it is a buck that has shed.... What are the implications in the following scenarios:

1. You have already killed your two bucks... thus making this one your third (and over-the-limit)?

2. If it has already shed - how do you know if it was even legal when it had its horns? Is it that big spike or fork-horn that was let walk countelss times?

That 120 lbs "doe" that was actually the former boss fork-horn would have been illegal only a few days/weeks earlier when he still had his horns.

Now I realize that at this point in the season, it is archery only, and that you are much closer to your quarry - and a lot less likely to make the mistake or to miss the pedicles. But still - it does happen.

And no, I am not advocating shortening seasons or moving them. But I am curious - particularly seeing as how we are apparently in a year/season where deer in some areas seem to be dropping horns quite a bit earlier than the norm.

3. duckhunter2-2007

duckhunter2-2007 Well-Known Member

I think it would be considered an antlerless deer just like a doe or bb. I'm not sure on this but seems reasonable.:wink:

4. ArkArcher

He called the G&F to make sure and they said AB. My dad hadn't killed one yet this year so it wasn't a problem for his limit. Oh, and it was on monday with a mzl and the deer was at 115 yards running and he dropped it. He know it didn't have anything on it's head but could get a real close look at it to see it was a buck that had dropped. I guess if you have already killed your 2 bucks....you better look pretty close at the deer before you shoot.

5. elwaller

elwaller Select Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2015

My son killed one a few years ago on Dec.22 that had dropped its horns.

6. grits and gravy

grits and gravy Well-Known Member

I am not positive, but I am pretty sure that if you had already killed your two bucks and then killed one that had shed its antlers, the WO would be more than willing to give you a break.

7. i would not bet money on that

8. ozark outdoorsman

ozark outdoorsman Account Suspended

Me either

9. NOX

NOX Active Member

It should count as an anterless deer.

This is why if I have the freezer full at this time, I go to shooting ducks and geese. I would be mad if I shot a huge buck that had lost his rack.

Good luck to all, be safe.

10. BuzzBait

BuzzBait Well-Known Member

:eek: Dont come to Forresct City and take you chances....:eek:

11. MtIda

MtIda Well-Known Member

LR
    AGFC says there is no longer a catagory for "Anterless Deer" He must be checked as BB and .................:smack: :frown: :frown: :frown:

12. ArkArcher

He checked it online and there is an option for "Antlered deer with 0 points" so that is what he checked it as. Who knows the proper way to do it. As long as it gets checked and as a buck in some form it's fine.

13. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

If it doesnt have horns treat it like a doe. I do not believe you would be convicted because some game warden is a jerk. They are getting way to picky with all their rules.

14. jerry dean

jerry dean Suspended Permanently

How would a doe with horns be checked?

15. ArkArcher

but it wasn't a doe. Two weeks ago I'm sure it was a buck with antlers so why would we change the way we tag it just because he lost his horns? Still an "antlered deer with 0 points," which BTW is an option for checking a deer now.

Okay, when checking a deer online on agfc.com there are 3 options..
    1) Antlered
    2) Button Buck
    3) Doe

Then, there is a spot to enter the total number of points. So, if it is a buck that has lost its antlers, it is an antlered deer with 0 point. If it is a Doe with antlers, then you would select option #1 because it doesn't say Antlered "Buck," just antlered. So there, we have it all straight now. :thumb:

16. jerry dean

jerry dean Suspended Permanently

But if it's a doe with horns, isn't it still a doe?... option #3?