Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on the edge of town. 17 acres of woods with lots of surrounding woods in three directions. Need a good watch/guard dog that will not wander off to town or follow us to town. What breed have you had good luck with. Have grand children so they must be good with the family.

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
We have a pit/catahoula cross that is awesome she will not leave the yard and lets us know when anything is around. She is especially protective of my wife. I just sold a whole litter of pups from her and they acted a lot like her.

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
I live on the edge of town. 17 acres of woods with lots of surrounding woods in three directions. Need a good watch/guard dog that will not wander off to town or follow us to town. What breed have you had good luck with. Have grand children so they must be good with the family.
Go get a 45-50lbs female heinz 57 from the pound, and have her spayed. She'll never leave the yard and will protect your children and yard 24-7. She may be ugly but she'll be loyal.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
My personal favorite is a Doberman, but never discount the Heinz 57. Rescue dogs make good family/watch dogs too.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Probably gonna get some disagreement on this but I've had great luck with Rottweilers. On my third one. Raised both daughters with them around. All in their training and what you want them too be. Mine have always been gentle with family but wary of strangers. Never had one attack anyone, usually the sight of em scare people enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts