Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31,570 Posts
I want to feel like I’m part of the woods, and use a hang-on, not sit in a box; therefore, no wasp problems
Honestly, I used to feel that way too. Then all my limbs turned to wood, my brain turned to wood, and I made a stand out of wood, so I feel sorta like I'm in the "woods" when I'm in a box stand. Besides, if I get that old climber out and put it deeper in "the woods" I might kill something way back in there.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
One of my favorite parts of early season hunting is when a wasp crawls up the back of your chair and wants to warm up between your collar and your neck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but how do you get the red or brown hornets out of your popup? I didn’t take mine down after last season and they have hornets in them. Will wasp spray mess up the thin material they’re made of?
This will be my second season hunting and living in Arkansas and I’m new to pop up blinds. I’ve always hunted from wooden box blinds back in South Texas where I’m from and cleared them out with wasp spray. When we moved up here, the price of lumber was stupid expensive, so I just bought a couple of pop up blinds to use until I can afford to build a wooden one.

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but how do you get the red or brown hornets out of your popup? I didn’t take mine down after last season and they have hornets in them. Will wasp spray mess up the thin material they’re made of?
This will be my second season hunting and living in Arkansas and I’m new to pop up blinds. I’ve always hunted from wooden box blinds back in South Texas where I’m from and cleared them out with wasp spray. When we moved up here, the price of lumber was stupid expensive, so I just bought a couple of pop up blinds to use until I can afford to build a wooden one.
Gas Fire Event Heat Recreation

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
We took a nerf football, cut 2-3 inches off one end and wrapped it in duct tape. Drew a black hole in the bottom and hang it up every spring. Went from having wasps every summer by the hundreds, nesting in various areas of the place, to none whatsoever. However, they set up shop about 150 yds away in what seemed like heavier numbers.

Here’s the idea.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I use the pro zap hanging insecticide in my box blinds. So far on year two with no live wasps found inside. Mine are sealed fairly tight but always have a few get in but they are dead when I find them. I pull the insecticide a week before season to let it air out so I’m not breathing the chemicals. Someone on this forum recommended it.

Prozap Insect Guard Fly Trap Strip at Tractor Supply Co.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have two real hornets nests hanging on my porch and have had an endless supply of wasp nests built under that same porch roof all summer. The biggest wasp nest of the bunch was built about 8 inches from one of the hornets nests.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
We took a nerf football, cut 2-3 inches off one end and wrapped it in duct tape. Drew a black hole in the bottom and hang it up every spring. Went from having wasps every summer by the hundreds, nesting in various areas of the place, to none whatsoever. However, they set up shop about 150 yds away in what seemed like heavier numbers.

Here’s the idea.

Went to work on a fellas horse one day last year and it was hot, he pulled the truck out of the carport, and we worked under it in the shade, I noticed paper bags hanging everywhere snd he said it’s supposed to keep wasp from building nests. Asked if it worked and he said so far under there, but on the side of his shed had one hanging and a wasp nest right next to it. So I think the bag trick is hit or miss.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Went to work on a fellas horse one day last year and it was hot, he pulled the truck out of the carport, and we worked under it in the shade, I noticed paper bags hanging everywhere snd he said it’s supposed to keep wasp from building nests. Asked if it worked and he said so far under there, but on the side of his shed had one hanging and a wasp nest right next to it. So I think the bag trick is hit or miss.
I tried it. Wasps used it as a hang out spot. I cant get rid of the ones under my metal roof. Im to the point of pulling metal off this winter and removing all the nests and somehow sealing it up. 6 years been fighting them in the same area.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts