Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first post:

Guys, I never dreamed that there was so much to a jon boat! But I figured out real quick that this place to go for questions. Here it is:

I have had an old 1436 Duracraft with a 25 mariner (stock aluminum prop) forever. Great boat for me by myself. The problem is that the kids are bigger, and I have been considering duck hunting out of it (strictly fished before this), so I am getting a 548 WE for more stability and room.

Until I read this site, I would have just slapped the motor on and headed out. I see where you guys install jack plates (CMC or whatever they are), folks are setting motors up higher than simply straight on the transom (how do I do that?), different props, etc. I don't care too much about speed, but I certainly want to maximize what I've got. I would prefer top-end speed (to cover distance) over acceleration. I'll mostly be fishing in some oxbows off the Mississippi River.

How should I set this motor up? What can I expect it to do compared to the old 1436 (light, short sides)?

I am afraid after reading this site that I will end up with Havoc, a '96 Mega, running nitrous one day!

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Short shaft or long shaft motor.....on short shaft most all war eagle and mercury/mariner need to be blocked up three quarters of an inch on the transom, then center and mount, middle pin hole position....stainless prop...probably a 13p would work best for that

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Short shaft or long shaft motor.....on short shaft most all war eagle and mercury/mariner need to be blocked up three quarters of an inch on the transom, then center and mount, middle pin hole position....stainless prop...probably a 13p would work best for that
Short shaft.
When you say, "block it up 3/4 of an inch", how is that done? Do I just get a block of wood, cut it 3/4" thick and put it between the motor mount and the transom?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Short shaft.
When you say, "block it up 3/4 of an inch", how is that done? Do I just get a block of wood, cut it 3/4" thick and put it between the motor mount and the transom?
exactly....I literally used a piece of srap wood laying around....I would use wood....metal will rattle

if I remember right the piece of wood is like 11"-12" long....about 2"wide maybe a little less....this will put the motor in perfect position in regard to the skeg and bottom of boat having a flush line or plane...actually the skeg is about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the bottom of boat ..which is ideal....then from there you can use your pin adjustment for load capacity

either run a 12p prop in middle position or 13p prop in 2nd position....this will help boat get on top of water with a load and in current and still let you run mid to upper 20's

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
View attachment 48633

If you look closely you can see the wood....I had some old 1/4 and 3/8 treated plywood laying around so I put a piece of each under it....clamped down and ran it....liked it and then bolted it on

I talked to three different War Eagle Dealers and to war eagle and they all said WE Short Transom....Short Shaft Mercury 3/4 to 1" depending on prop and load expectations....all said middle pin go with 3/4

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 48633

If you look closely you can see the wood....I had some old 1/4 and 3/8 treated plywood laying around so I put a piece of each under it....clamped down and ran it....liked it and then bolted it on

I talked to three different War Eagle Dealers and to war eagle and they all said WE Short Transom....Short Shaft Mercury 3/4 to 1" depending on prop and load expectations....all said middle pin go with 3/4
Thank you! That's simple enough.

What will be the difference in 12p & 13p?

For my own perspective, what do you think my 1436 ran with this motor (I never bothered to clock it)?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Thank you! That's simple enough.

What will be the difference in 12p & 13p?

For my own perspective, what do you think my 1436 ran with this motor (I never bothered to clock it)?
if properly set up right with proper prop maximizing everything....34-35 maybe a hair more.....

but u prolly had it on the transom and stock 12 pitch aluminum prop, upper 20's maybe 30

yes there will be a difference in 12p and 13p prop.....the 12p will get up on plane quicker and push a load better....the lower the pitch the more it digs so to speak.....the 13p will take longer to get on plane and but once on plane will have a 2-3mph difference in speed.....either would be fine.....if you buy the 12p place motor in middle pin hole....its you buy the 13p place it in the next to bottom setting pin hole....this should provide safe and easy motor with you and your boys and still get you somewhere when alone.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
There is a lot of variables....my 1542 war eagle weight 280lbs....its .080 guage....your 1548 is .080 gauge will weigh 300-320 if I remember right....then think about floors, gas tanks, gear...and people and all of a sudden your pushing 500lbs....the lower the pitch on the prop and the lower the motor is in the water the more dig/torque it has to push that load to the top to get on plane....

personally I would by the 13p Solas is a solid stainless brand that wont break the bank....run you $150 off the net.....if you are alone the run motor in the middle pin position if you have your boys drop it down to the second or simpli leave it in the second or third and you will be fine.....

my 1542 War Eagle with floor drop deck and 16" deck extension weight in dry hull about 315....add me 200lbs...gas tank and battery 50lbs, trolling motor gear....your looking at 400 lbs....by myself I run 32-33 will hit 34 in peak conditions with 13p middle pin setting....one other person looses a hair of speed and hole shot......the 3rd person is where the pin setting will help.....something about that total load of 800 mark is where most 25's crap out and simply lug....this is where trimming down comes in handy

·
Registered
339 Posts
There is a lot of variables....my 1542 war eagle weight 280lbs....its .080 guage....your 1548 is .080 gauge will weigh 300-320 if I remember right....then think about floors, gas tanks, gear...and people and all of a sudden your pushing 500lbs....the lower the pitch on the prop and the lower the motor is in the water the more dig/torque it has to push that load to the top to get on plane....

personally I would by the 13p Solas is a solid stainless brand that wont break the bank....run you $150 off the net.....if you are alone the run motor in the middle pin position if you have your boys drop it down to the second or simpli leave it in the second or third and you will be fine.....

my 1542 War Eagle with floor drop deck and 16" deck extension weight in dry hull about 315....add me 200lbs...gas tank and battery 50lbs, trolling motor gear....your looking at 400 lbs....by myself I run 32-33 will hit 34 in peak conditions with 13p middle pin setting....one other person looses a hair of speed and hole shot......the 3rd person is where the pin setting will help.....something about that total load of 800 mark is where most 25's crap out and simply lug....this is where trimming down comes in handy
How hard do u throw ur gps to get that 34 :)

Don't the little mercs have 2.25 gears? Pretty sure mine does and I've never broke 30 with it that I know of... 13 pitch powertech sra, motor blocked up on the transom of a WE 542 with floor, pod seats, and 2 gunboxes, middle pin. If I'm right about gears and IF u can make ur merc turn 6000 rpms u'll run 29-30 on a consistent basis with a 13 pitch prop. These are sweet little motors with the throttle shift and light weight but speed demons they are not...

·
Registered
339 Posts
:) just being realistic, not saying anyone's doesn't run anything, hell I've heard of 25 etecs running 47, so who knows. Just don't want the op with too high of expectations...

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
How hard do u throw ur gps to get that 34 :)

Don't the little mercs have 2.25 gears? Pretty sure mine does and I've never broke 30 with it that I know of... 13 pitch powertech sra, motor blocked up on the transom of a WE 542 with floor, pod seats, and 2 gunboxes, middle pin. If I'm right about gears and IF u can make ur merc turn 6000 rpms u'll run 29-30 on a consistent basis with a 13 pitch prop. These are sweet little motors with the throttle shift and light weight but speed demons they are not...
your 542 .100 gauge or .080.....no floor and only one gun box...ballistic 13p...it average 32 to 32.8 I run it on Conway most times....I hit 34 on Maumelle, flat water

yes merc 25 are 400cc motor 5000-6000rpm 2:25:1 gear ratio

My express was 29-30 my alumcacraft was 28-29 and this war eagle is constant 32....very lightweight boat

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
:) just being realistic, not saying anyone's doesn't run anything, hell I've heard of 25 etecs running 47, so who knows. Just don't want the op with too high of expectations...
im not a speed demon and don't care to be....but proper set up can maximize potential motor has....anytime you wanna meet up and run em we can compare and see.....I have a close friend who has a 2005 mercury 25 on a 1548 Triton Duck boat....we put his on my boat and it was 30-31

put your motor in second pin position from top....will take longer to get on plane but your top end will be 1-2mph faster....that should help you break 30

im curious about you boat tho.....im about to add a floor and remove gun box and do a deck extension storage....was curious how the weight would effect it.....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Idk about weight, mine has a floor, drop deck and the 2 gun boxes r full of life jackets, burlap, a couple anchors, spare prop and misc tools and stuff. Pod seats, a 6 gallon tank of fuel and a battery in the back. Porpoises more than I want to ride in the next pin up.
I've put my tiny tach on it and it turns the 13 pitch right at 5850-5900. Per the prop calculator at RBBI I'm only getting .08-.1 slip so I've felt that 29 and a little change is about all she's got...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts