Wanting a coon dog

Discussion in 'Huntin' Dogs' started by Nighthawk, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Well-Known Member

I been wanting a coon dog for a while when I was a kid my buddys daddy would load us up and take us we rode our horses and had a blast I admit I have never had a coon dog and have never trained a pup I got hundreds of acres and more coons than you can shake a stick at heck we feed them right along with the deer year round. I dont know what I would do with a coon when I killed it ,never ate one hear they are nice my wife dont like the idea of it either she tolerates my hog dogs but says coon's are too cute to cook LOL only thing I got against them is they are eating my corn up.What is a resonable price for a starter dog and how hard is it to train a pup I guess is what im asking and whats the prefered breed?

2. i have a 10 month old pup that is very started and has had coons killed in front of him hes a registered treeing walker very friendly and knows what hes doing i have gothim for sale and you can se him in my thread pics of pups hes the one oon the left i have some better pics of him if you want to se them walkers are theultimate coon dogs imo i also have some puppys on the way take a look and let me know i will show him under tree

3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Well-Known Member

Great looking dogs and I bet worth every penny SC but here right after Christmas and me not to sure if its for me I am looking for something a little less glamorous to start with like a one eyed walker blue tick mix with a limp hahaha like I said I want to get my feet wet again I have no experience training coon dogs thought about showing one of my Catahoula pups a coon see what happens.

4. im going to town when i get back i have another ill tell you about in a pm

5. arc3162

arc3162 Well-Known Member

Asking what the best starter breed is is like asking if ford chevy or dodge is the best truck. Everyone will give you another answer. I personally hunt walkers. I have two pups and a 4 year old walker gyp that I bought off of squirrel chaser one. She is one heck of a dog. She hunts hard and close just like I wanted.

Any breed of coonhound will do you just fine. About the only difference you get out of breed, in my opinion is the bark :p

I like hearing a walker dog running on track with a long drawn out bawl and a good chop bark when he trees.

If you get a dog off of squirrel chaser one he will do you right.

6. thanks for thecomplement pm sent about another pup

7. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

You want to know The prefered Breed. Well here it is ENGLISH, ENGLISH, ENGLISH. If you ask me!!:up::thumb:
    No seriously their are good ones in every breed.

But you cant go wrong With a ENGLISH, they bring a little or every thing to the table! Tree power, Tracking ability, And the most important BRAINS!!

As you can tell I am pretty partial to the English breed. But good luck with whatever breed you Choose!

8. englishdawgs

I have known a few farmers that hunted coons with Catahoula dogs.

9. arc3162

arc3162 Well-Known Member

Dont listen to him, a walker can tree circles around an english any night of the week!

10. rattletrap

rattletrap Well-Known Member

if you look in the coonhunting magazines such as the one pkc puts out called prohounds, you always see walker dogs mostly on the cover. i hunt walker dogs primarily, but i have had good black and tans, and others. walker dogs develop faster as puppies, but with the right amount of work most dogs will make it. i live in eldorado, and the dog that is throwing good puppies right now is jaycee and i have seen some top dogs come from his genes. i have some puppies for sell now if you want to pm me we can go into further detail. i competition hunt and im not bashing any other breed of dog, because ive been beat by some fine english hounds, blueticks and blackandtans, but when im trying to find a special pup that can get me to the world hunt i go with walker dogs.

11. rattletrap

also to answer your questing, a good bred pup usually runs 150$ and up. pups are not hard to train, they're just time consuming.

12. dontknow your blood line rattle but im getting 300.00 for 7 and 8 week old puppys and started young pups 600.00and up not pulling my own chain but my dogs are giving me some first class litters been told im selling to cheap please dont take offense just putting in my 2cents worth

13. englishdawgs

ENGLISH all that needs said.

14. I got pups on the way

I GOT SOME BLUETICK PUPS TO BE WHELPED IN A MONTH.I CAN SEE YOU ARE WANTING A NATURAL STARTING PUP THATS EASY TO TRAIN.GET HOOKED UP WITH ME,I DONT WANT YOUR MONEY,I GOT A WAITING LIST FROM PEOPLE WANTING PUPS,JUST WANT YOU TO GET A DOG FROM A BLUE TICK LINE THAT HAS A HISTORY OF SMOKING WALKERS ON THEIR WORST NITE.VERY WELL BRED PUPS THAT WILL BE LOUD!WALKER DROWNING TREE DOGS,I AINT SKEERED WALKER MEN.MY BLUE DOGS MOVE A COON TRACK FASTER THAN MOST WALKERS CAN RUN A BUCK.GOTTA LOVE IT!OR ATLEAST GET AN ENGLISH FROM ENGLISHDAWGS.YOU WANT TO SEE MEAT IN THE TREES NOT 12 SLICK TREES THEN A COON WITH A LONG LEGGED BEAGLE!YOU WILL DEVELOP NECK PROBLEMS EARLY IN YOUR COON HUNTIN DAYS.BLUE,BLUE,BLUE!!!!!NO JOKE SEND ME A PM AND WE TALK PUPS THAT ARENT PRICED LIKE CARS. BLUE DOG :biggrin::fit::biggrin::clap::up:

15. rattletrap

for a top bred pup, you will have to pay 3 and up, if your wanting a plesure dog, u can find one that suits u and get a better dog later, but u will have to pay a little more. Jaycee is out of stylish harrys freak show, if that rings a bell. everyone might want to ask Tyler Young what to do, if im not mistaken, he wone the world hunt just recently with a WALKER. :clap:

16. rattletrap

oh yea Blue Dog, Ill challenge you to a friendly one on one hunt. just for fun, i really would like to see a bluetick run a track that fast.

17. rattletrap that wouldnt be fair to blue dog unless u put cotton balls up each nostral of your walker so the bluetic could atleast have a chance :fit::fit::fit:

18. ol bucky

ol bucky Super Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

I Have hunted Walkers dogs, blue dogs, red dogs, plott dogs, red bone dogs and Black and Tan. I had good dogs out of all of them except the Black and Tans. Those dogs are just Retarded.

19. ghost

ghost Active Member

I use to hunt walkers until I finally grew up and bought me a English dog. Then I really found out what coon hunting was all about you guys thats got walkers will one day to.lol:fit::fit::fit::fit::fit::fit: