Wanted: Someone to fix our pond!

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by Nuge Fan, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Nuge Fan

Nuge Fan Well-Known Member

Ok we paid a guy down in town to dig us a pond more than 10 years ago (1997ish I think). Said it would "take about 2 years to look natural" Well here we are in 2011 and it still won't hold water. We called him and he came out and told us he had patched it, but it still doesn't hold water. If we get dang near flood rain, it will start to fill up, but a few days later, it's back down to about 4ft of water on one side of the pond. This pond is at my parents place and I'd like to fix the pond for them. Curious as to how much it would be to do whatever needs to be done so that it'll hold water.

[​IMG]
    Here's a google earth shot of the pond and the house. The dot in the middle of the pond was supposed to be an island in the middle but the water never gets much past the island. All the white area is where the pond is dug out to be except on the backside of the water, that's the levy

Anybody with the equipment want to give me an estimate? My dad said he thinks it would do much better if the pond were pushed down the hill a bit. That's an option too.

2. Nuge Fan

[​IMG]
    Pic my dad took of the highest the water's ever gotten

3. jwr

jwr Well-Known Member

rison
    does it have a clay bottom? did he key the levee?

4. I've never used it but I hear and have read that bentonite is a very good product for sealing farm ponds that won't hold water. I've read that it is pretty expensive.

5. fisherman

fisherman Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne

Fence it in and put some hogs in it, they will dig up the bottom and make mud and it will seal up and hold water.

6. scarhead26

scarhead26 Well-Known Member

Both these Ideas work. Also Cattle will tromp it down and seal it up too. You need to do one of these things NOW if you want it to be sealed in a couple years.

7. damlockman

damlockman Well-Known Member

It works well and as it seals and the level rises the seal the rest then you can sell or butcher the hogs..

8. tracytqrc

tracytqrc Well-Known Member

Hogs and cattle will both work and I've also heard that if you can get a beaver in there that they will find and seal most leaks. but my thinking is, they'll probably chew down a bunch of trees.

9. roybj

roybj Well-Known Member

Yep, pigs. I had a little one that I dug out with a backhoe, it leaked after that. I fenced it and put in two hogs and it sealed right up. I'm thinking you'd have to have several for a pond that size, but I bet it would work.

10. jd huntn

jd huntn Well-Known Member

alma
    re

My friends dad had a pond that wouldnt seal... I was like 15 y.o and a bunch of us though we'd ride are wheelers in there, so we did and made a heck of a mess doin donuts having a good time:fit: We didnt no it wouldnt hold water, but we all got in some deep trouble:biggrin:, but the pond stared fillin up after every rain since are big mud bog:head:

11. Nuge Fan

Animals are not an option

12. patroitlawns

patroitlawns Active Member

NLR
    Let me ask you a few things; What is the pond going to be used for? How deep was the pond supposed to be when originally planned? Also two important parts to pond construction is testing the soil and compaction. A lot of people just assume that if they dig a hole it will hold water. But the water tables for an area dont support the theory it will never work. Were either of these performed?

13. Bentonite is your answer or clay but the Bentonite is best.
    There is a place in El Dorado you can buy it buy the pallet.
    My pond is the same way your is and I have looked into it but just haven't done it yet.
    Here is a link about it... http://www.pondsealer.net/

14. I found the companies site.....call them and get a price. Let me know how much so I can start working to get mine fixed.
    I think you have to drain it first though.......pump.
    http://www.pdscoinc.com/

15. Ozone

Ozone Well-Known Member

My opinion of the pigs is their sharp feet pack the ground, even under the part they dig.

A mechanical 'sheeps foot' could do the same without the grunting. Check with a local dirt or road contractor, he'll know where one is.

16. Nuge Fan

Pond does have a clay bottom. Very rocky soil around here. Not sure if soil or compaction tests were done. Not sure how deep the pond was going to be. Going to be used as a fishing pond

Don't know what a key'd levee means

17. jwr

jwr Well-Known Member

rison
    a keyed levee is where they cut a notch in the ground then start the levee in the notch. like a keyway in a shaft.

18. mmcginty19

mmcginty19 Well-Known Member

Nuge I sent you a pm

19. patroitlawns

patroitlawns Active Member

NLR
    If the soil is a very rocky consistency then the only thing you can do is drain the exhisting water, start over and do it right. I don't know what type of fish you plan on stocking, i'm not a fisherman, but I have built ponds for various people. Some are just a water feature others have been used as koi ponds. Compaction is key. You can have perfect soil but if it's not compacted it will drain. Some use Bentonite, cement, or pond liners when the soil is too porous to seal it off. Most of the time my ponds usually end up averaging about 4-6ft.

20. Nuge Fan

yeah talked to dad, he said orignal depth was about 5 feet.