Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FIL just called.. all excited and worked up!!

He had been across at the barn checking on the horses and he and his wife saw a big dark "something" along the edge of the road (AR Hwy 141 between Beech Grove and Hooker).

He hopped in the truck and drove down to get a better look... when he got about 50 yds from it, it bailed across the highway from the pasture to the woods. He describes it as follows.."... it was about a foot longer than Satie (my 6 yr old yellow lab) and about 6-8" taller. It had about a two foot long tail that was round and it was a reddish, black color. And it jumped the ditch and the fence in one leap!!!"

He swears up and down it was a mountian lion/cougar/panther / Paddywampuss!!!!

I've known this guy and been best friends with him for about the last thirteen years! He don't barely take a drink on the holidays and you can't get him to cuss if you hit him with a switch!!! I can't get him to lie about a the size of a stringer of crappie and he's likely the most laid back and reliable guy I've known since my PawPaw died.

I ain't about to state that there is a "confirmed" sighting of a mountain lion in Greene Co.!!! But, I got less than zero reasons to doubt his belief in what he saw!! I think I half pi$$ed him off when I kept asking the "could it have been" questions..... anyway, I bet he don't venture far without a good sized gun for awhile!!! And that alone is good news to me!!

I ain't seen a post on "cats" in a bit.. I thought it was as good of a time as any to stir the pot again!!!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I lived in Paragould until a few years ago, and I dated a girl in high school that lived toward Lafe. Her dad swore he'd seen one in their pasture a couple different times. I wouldn't call it definitive proof, but I'd consider him to be pretty reliable guy. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Last summer one of my uncles took a shot at something like that. It was trying to take down one of his half grown steers. He said the thing had both front feet around its neck, while biting it on the back of the neck, and both back feet were digging in. He called the GW of our area and got the reply that there is no such thing in Arkansas. My uncle told him to come look at the steer which had claw marks on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my dad told me that a wampusscat was the meanest animal on earth. he said they have a lion head at one end and a rattlesnake head at the other which limited thier bathroom ability and thats what made them so mean. he did not tell me about the extra set of paws.
gg

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
my dad told me that a wampusscat was the meanest animal on earth. he said they have a lion head at one end and a rattlesnake head at the other which limited thier bathroom ability and thats what made them so mean. he did not tell me about the extra set of paws.
gg
You could understand why he'd be so mean, no? :clap:

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
According to an old Indian legend, the Wampus Cat was created. It was said a young Indian woman did not trust her husband. It was custom for the men of the Indian tribe to hunt while the women did things around the encampments. The women were forbidden to hunt. One night, she placed the hide of a mountain cat on her body. She snuck out to spy on her husband to see what he did on his hunting trips. As the hunters gathered around their camp fires, the woman watched them. She became fascinated with the stories and the magic that was presented to the men of the Indian tribe. The poor woman was caught and for her crime, she was transformed into what is known as the Wampus Cat. The woman was doomed to be forever half woman and half mountain cat. The ghost of the Wampus Cat is still said to walk the hills of Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Half cat and half woman? Now that is a scary creature.:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SH*!... Half woman and half anything is a scary thought to have!!!!

Just kidding.... but still can you imagine a half cat-half woman??? Neither one are just real receptive anyways!! Mix the two together and a man ain't got a chance!!!! :)!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.