Wader advice

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by duckhunter2-2007, Dec 17, 2012.

1. duckhunter2-2007

duckhunter2-2007 Well-Known Member

I need a new set of waders and I'm looking at the Banded neoprene hybrid wader. Does anyone have any experience with them good or bad. I hate to waste $300 on a pair of waders when I don't know of anyone who has used them. Drake LST is my second choice but looks like they are about $50 higher. I'm through with LaCross brushtuffs. less than two years don't cut it.

2. Texan44

Texan44 Well-Known Member

Since we talkin waders, has anyone had any experience w/ waders with a fly ?? Do they leak??

3. waterfowler15

waterfowler15 Well-Known Member

I have no experience with them but I do own 2 pairs of the Mack's waders and I love them one pair I have 4 seasons under them with no problems, but I did go over the seams with aquaseal. Their new waders have a aquaseal type material over the seems out of the box plus the macksimum seam stuff on the inside. Just an opinion but you should consider them as a choice. They fit the way a like and have all the pockets and shell holders like I like. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes though.

4. mhr7

mhr7 Well-Known Member

Their will be 15 people on here before the nights over swearing about brush tuffs but I'm like you, brush tuffs are the only waders I've ever owned until this year. Prolly had 6-8 pair and 3 years is the longest they will last till the crotch starts seeping then you patch them and all that bs and you might get another season. I'm trying Hodgmans this year.

5. Choppin

Choppin Well-Known Member

The drakes arent any better and Columbia is the worst I have ever had...

6. archeryman.501

archeryman.501 Well-Known Member

lacross is the best i ever had. hodgeman is good to

7. skip1411

skip1411 Well-Known Member

I have been looking at the new macks also. Those seem to be the way to go. My lacrosse lasted 2 yrs then it all went down hill fast. 5 yrs now and there isn't a spot to put aquaseal or shoe goo now. Trash bag trick worked until I found a hole in the boot last week. Boy, I need a new pair but they are going to have to last until next year.

Couple buddies have the Drake LST's and they like them alot due to the way they fit, protection of the boots, and room in the crouch. Time will tell, one has had them since beginning of season and the other has had them since last season.

8. ZTGOLDMAN

ZTGOLDMAN Well-Known Member

I've got 3 pairs of LaCrosse. I've had one pair for 7 seasons and still no leaks. I have started wearing one of the other pairs because I have just been waiting on the old faithful pair to leak. The third pair I just got a good deal on at the co-op. Theyre still in the box in the closet waiting on hard times. That's been my experience by YMMV :shrug:

9. halfcocked

halfcocked Well-Known Member

I won't buy anything but lacrosse from now own. I have owned 2 pair of drake waders and 2 pair of macs waders in the last 3 years. They are junk. Now I'm back to wearing my 4 year old lacrosse. Still no leaks.

10. Badbassn

Badbassn Premium Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Win

Macks has a deal on their grand prairie waders for $187. Regular price is $249. It on their shot of the day on their web site so it will be for today only.

11. blowdown

blowdown Well-Known Member

macks big ditch is all you need. lightweight, many camo choices, 12 shell holder on the chest.

i had drake LST. heavy and lasted 3 seasons.

had hodgman duramag 1600's. heavy and lasted 5 seasons.

12. ararslinger

ararslinger Well-Known Member

Have a pair of old style lacrosse, true double seat and knees, 10 seasons or more. Hundreds of hunts, can't wear em out. Bought my son new brush tuffs, leaking after 2nd season. So I don't know what I would buy now. May be good and bad pair in all brands.

13. brad6056

brad6056 Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Macks waders I bought the year before last at the end of season. Hardly any use at all last year and the seam in the right boot split. Put some sealant on it, hopefully it was last the rest of the season.

14. Deadwood

Deadwood Well-Known Member

i gotta pair of cabelas that i like, and a pair of guide gear. Them dern guide gear waders are chest high, and tough as heck.

15. madduck87

madduck87 Well-Known Member

16. cwiz

cwiz Well-Known Member

I got a new pair of Swamp Tuff Pros lacrosse came out with this year and love them so far. The are a little higher in the chest which I like and all their seams are coated now.

17. wooducksooie

wooducksooie Well-Known Member

NEA
    What about the Cabelas? In my opinion they're all made to sell, not to last.

18. wooducksooie

wooducksooie Well-Known Member

NEA
    Got two and a half seasons with my Lacrosse. Put it through some pretty tough wading though. Let us know if anyone knows of any good deals. I know cabelas has theirs on sale now. I won't by Drakes. Have had three buddies that had them and lasted less than a year.

19. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

I'm on my second year with a pair of Cabela's Ultimate Hunting waders. So far so good.

20. duck

duck Well-Known Member

I can tell you this. When you have to start putting the goop on them, Its time for a new pair because If they leak now, They WILL leak again. It will be on the coldest day of the year.