Venison Empanadas

Discussion in 'Cooking, Grilling, BBQ, and Recipes' started by bhays, Jan 16, 2008.

1. bhays

bhays Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O

This is a recipe that everybody that's tried it likes, even those that don't like deer meat. The women in my family really seem to like it, so I fix it when us guys are having backstrap kabobs or steaks. They warm up really well for breakfast too!:biggrin:

1 lb. ground deer sausage
    1 onion (chopped finely)
    Tony's
    Cavender's
    Lemon Pepper
    Shredded Mexican Cheese
    2 Boxes Pie Crusts (Like Pillsbury)
    1 Egg

Brown deer sausage and onion in skillet. Dump drained browned meat mix in a bowl and add the seasonings to taste and add in about 2 cups of the shredded cheese and mix it in well. Roll out the pie crusts and use a round cookie cutter or I use a drinking glass and cut out circles about 2-3" in diameter. Spoon the meat and cheese mixture onto the circle and wet the edges of the dough with water and seal up the edges of the pastry crust. Use a fork and press down to seal the edge. After you get a batch made up, beat up the egg and brush on the top of each empanada. Bake at 375 until golden brown (about 20 minutes or so).

2. TheBattman

TheBattman Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

When you say "deer sausage" - to what are you referring too? There are many kinds of sausage.

3. bhays

bhays Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O

Fresh ground breakfast sausage. Sorry I didn't specify. You could use deer burger if that's all you have and be fine too. I just like the taste of the sausage in the pastry crust better. I usually get the mild at the processor (Ferguson's in Atkins). The last deer I killed bowhunting this year, I ground up using the recipe posted on here and it tastes pretty much the same. Now that I got a good electric grinder, I'll be doing my own burger and fresh ground sausage.
    This is the type of sausage I was referring to, just browned and not made into patties.
    http://www.arkansashunting.net/showthread.php?t=30312