Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any luck or experience using the Whitetail Institute's brain of No Plow for thier food plot? This seed is able to be planted in areas with very little sun plus you don't have to prepare the land (with the exception of fertilizer and lime). I tried this last year and the clovers came up great but I never saw any deer eating from it. My lanes are not quiet 100 yards and are only about 15 feet wide. (lanes will be a little longer and wider this year due to the forestry harvesting some trees). Should I try it again this year? Any thoughts? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Has anyone had any luck or experience using the Whitetail Institute's brain of No Plow for thier food plot? This seed is able to be planted in areas with very little sun plus you don't have to prepare the land (with the exception of fertilizer and lime). I tried this last year and the clovers came up great but I never saw any deer eating from it. My lanes are not quiet 100 yards and are only about 15 feet wide. (lanes will be a little longer and wider this year due to the forestry harvesting some trees). Should I try it again this year? Any thoughts? :confused:
You ought to try and transplant some honeysuckle into your area if you don't already have some. Provides a year round food source and best of all...its free if you have access to some that is growing. All you have to do is find the end of some growth and cut it just past the 4th set of leaves (they grow in pairs) and then pluck off the 2 leaves closest to the cut. Then take that end and put it in a jar or glass of water and place it somewhere it will get sun. It will sprout roots in the water. Once you get some roots going, it will be ready to plant. Just put a cage over or around it to keep the deer from eating it down before it can get going. Now don't forget the fertilizer! Honeysuckle will TAKE OFF with a little 13-13-13 once or twice a year. :up:

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I've had fair success with No-Plow, but I like Green Patch Plus better. What direction are your lanes? Being only 15 feet wide, I suspect that part of the problem is not enough sunlight. Even No-Plow, which is rye, wrape (brassica), and clover needs 3 to 4 hours of sunlight a day. If the lanes are running north and south you'll get more fall/winter light to them than if they're running east and west.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
All you have to do is find the end of some growth and cut it just past the 4th set of leaves (they grow in pairs) and then pluck off the 2 leaves closest to the cut. Then take that end and put it in a jar or glass of water and place it somewhere it will get sun. It will sprout roots in the water. Once you get some roots going, it will be ready to plant. Just put a cage over or around it to keep the deer from eating it down before it can get going. Now don't forget the fertilizer! Honeysuckle will TAKE OFF with a little 13-13-13 once or twice a year. :up:
This sounds stupid...I known. Is that 4 sets of leaves from the end of a vine?....sprig some during the summer and they didn't sprout a root.:head:

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
You ought to try and transplant some honeysuckle into your area if you don't already have some. Provides a year round food source and best of all...its free if you have access to some that is growing. All you have to do is find the end of some growth and cut it just past the 4th set of leaves (they grow in pairs) and then pluck off the 2 leaves closest to the cut. Then take that end and put it in a jar or glass of water and place it somewhere it will get sun. It will sprout roots in the water. Once you get some roots going, it will be ready to plant. Just put a cage over or around it to keep the deer from eating it down before it can get going. Now don't forget the fertilizer! Honeysuckle will TAKE OFF with a little 13-13-13 once or twice a year. :up:
What type of cage do you use I have seen people make a honey suckle cage that looked like a pup tent that is supposed to work real well.....plant the honey suckle in the middle of it and let it grow up the sides. I want to try cutting like you said so you go cut a piece off that has 4 sets of leaves long and pull the last set of leaves closest to the cut off.....Do you use any rooting compound or just put in glass of water??:biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
What type of cage do you use I have seen people make a honey suckle cage that looked like a pup tent that is supposed to work real well.....plant the honey suckle in the middle of it and let it grow up the sides. I want to try cutting like you said so you go cut a piece off that has 4 sets of leaves long and pull the last set of leaves closest to the cut off.....Do you use any rooting compound or just put in glass of water??:biggrin:
You can dip it in rooting harmone if you want and it will help, but you do not have too. And it doesn't matter what type of cage you build around it. Just something that will keep the deer off untill it gets established. And don't plan on moving the cage either. The honeysuckle will use it like a ladder.

And Big Dog, you are correct. It works better in the spring but it will work year round.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.