Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing my Stevens 200 in .308 alot lately. I ordered the Lee Reloading Anniversary Kit for $79, so I should be ready to reload some cartridges by this weekend. I drop in a Rifle Basix trigger, which is set at 2lb. The stock is already pillar bedded, and free floated, but I would like to add weight to the front of the stock, and to stiffen it up. I bought some Acraglas kits, but is this a feasible way to add weight? I am thinking of dropping in a few .45 caliber bullets in the front end and then pouring the acraglas on top of it.

·
Administrator
87,241 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what you might gain from this. One ounce is 437.5 grains, and the average 45ACP bullet is 230 grains, so for every 2 bullets, you'll only gain a little more than an ounce. If you think this is what you want to do, you might try it out before you glass them in to make sure it gets the results you are looking for.

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I think it actually worked like I thought it was going too. The forend feels stiffer now, and feels heavier. I just did two sections, next time I think I want to go the full length of the stock maybe next time adding bolts, instead of bullets.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I did that to the stock on my CVA Magbolt a few years ago, but I used fiberglass resin to build up the bulk, then Acraglas Gel to bed it and finish it out. Looks pretty good. Since the buttstock was hollow it added about 2lbs (including some old lead fishing weights), and the gun feels really solid now. It shoulders easy, is easy on the shoulder, and the weight makes it easier to shoot offhand.

One tip though - if you do this on a muzzleloader, make sure you use a good clay or putty to block the stuff from flowing into the ramrod channel. It's a mess to clean out if you don't :wink:

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am really happy with the way it turned out. I think I am going to fill the buttstock in with the Acraglas on my Handi-Rifle Survivor. I got some 2"x4"x.25" lead plates that I am going to use. I love how stiff the forend is now. It doesn't have the flex in it anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.