Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any drawbacks? Don't want to spend a lot on my current setup,(T/C Thunderhawk) gonna replace it in a few years, but haven't had much luck last few years with open sights. Got a permit for Dave Donaldson/ Black River, been trying for 10 years, don't want to miss because of sights. Any opinions?

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,564 Posts
Only one drawback.....scope gets powder burned easy....but the benefit outweighs the drawback in my case because I have a blind spot in my right eye....but I know where those hairs cross, because I can see the ends....cant see iron sights anymore!:frown::razz:

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
My in-line muzzleloader has a Bushnell scope on it that I took off of my .30-06 and my traditional muzzleloader does not have a scope on it, so I've got one with and one without.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,564 Posts
I have one mounted on my inline....and also have one mounted on my Thompson Center Arms Seneca....it's mounted on the (R)side rather than the top, and is a 45cal. which I have adapted to shoot saboted rounds in .357, and it shoots very sweet with 60grs of pyrodex!:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
At the very least get a Bushnell Dusk and Dawn ( lower end scope ) for around 90.00 , for a 3-9X40, and put on it. It will be money well spent. If you want something better.... Nikon Prostaff. About 130.00 for a 3-9X40. Even better ?? Nikon Buckmasters 3-9X40 for about 190.00.

Check Out www.theopticzone.com and www.swfa.com . The optic zone usually has the best prices, but sometimes swfa sneaks a lower price in.... but these are the places that I have found to be the lowest prices on the net, or any stores. I do all of my business at these two places.

·
Registered
14,436 Posts
I've got a 4x32 Tasco on my Knight. The one you can buy at WalMart for $20-$30. I highly recommend it, especially if you're not going to keep that gun long. You will get burns on the outside of the scope. Out to 150yds I dont see any reason to need more magnification, and most of my muzzleloader deer have been shot within 30yds so it's even less of a problem.
I dropped that rifle so bad one morning that the rocks put deep scratches in the scope, and it only changed the zero about 2" at 100yds.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I coat the bottom of the scope and the sides of the mounts and rings closest to the cap with bore butter everytime I clean mine and my son's. I haven't noticed any burning or powder marks on either one.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I think he's asking about using a scope designed for a rifle on a ML. I've done that with a rifle scope before on my CVA, and you run the risk of splitting your forehead/eyebrow open. I got popped in the head a few times, but nothing serious. When I let a buddy shoot it he didn't hold it the same way and ended up getting blood all over my gun. Since I put a ML scope on it with long (6") eye relief, you can even shoot it prone and you won't get scope eye. It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't scope a ML now unless it has at least 4.5" of eye relief.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.