used vehicle owned by smoker....stinks...how to rid the stink

Discussion in 'Vehicles, Boats, Campers, & ATVs' started by junkyardwarrior, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Just as the title states. I picked up a project car from a guy. It is not really "nice" per say, but it's one of those that I've always wanted since I was about 12 when I first started driving. Previous owner was a smoker. Must've smoked 2-3 packs a day inside, with the windows up and A/C on recirculate. Everything reeks horribly. I wouldn't have bought it if I had to pay for it, but I'm into it cheaply enough to put a little into it. And it's got value and style. I have ordered a new headliner and ALL new carpet for it because the headliner needs to come out anyway to clean the underside of the roof and around the glass molding inside. And the carpet looks like somebody's kitty had kittens on it. Multiple litters maybe. It's filthy. I'm really sensitive to cigarettes so I need to get this thing CLEANED.

You guys ever had an issue like this? Looking for suggestions.

2. dlfarley

dlfarley Well-Known Member

You've made a big dent in it by removing the carpet and headliner. Anything fabric has to go. I used to work at a detail shop and we used an ozone machine for odors like that. It worked really well. Time will do the trick also.

3. chevyduckhunt

chevyduckhunt Well-Known Member

If you can find the turtle wax ice interior cleaner in the paste. It looks like a mustard bottle. That stuff works. Cleans all surfaces and removes a lot of dirt and odors. That's what I use. I don't smoke but it removes odors and leaves everything smelling clean.

4. chevyduckhunt

chevyduckhunt Well-Known Member

Also try vinegar. Mix a little with water and try that. Might try using 409 on the ac coil and heater core. That will help with the ac odor.

5. possum

possum Well-Known Member

I can't help ya with any more than you've been told, but I can't believe you told us all that and didn't tell us what kinda car it is. :smack:

:biggrin:

6. '93 Cobra.

Ozone. I talked with a local detailer and he says they flat work. Where can I rent one? Or buy one locally? I know I can mail order but if there's a problem, you're pretty much out of luck.

7. mmcginty19

mmcginty19 Well-Known Member

I bought a truck like that one time and I soaked it down with febreeze and rolled the windows up and closed the doors and let it sit in the sun and it took me about 3 or 4 rounds to do this but it worked. After that you couldnt even tell it had ever been smoked in.