Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been compound bow hunting for the last 17 years and absolutely love it. Recently I have gained the itch to begin shooting traditional archery. From my research, I think I want to shoot a long bow(maybe?).

That being said, I know just about nothing in the trad game. Can you guys point me in the right direction?

I will have to purchase everything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Pick up a 30-35lb bow, work on correct form and follow through. Once you're proficient there, gradually go up in weight.

For me personally, some type of aiming point helped a bunch.

This!! Buy an ILF (international limb fitting) riser, and then some 30-35 lb limbs and learn to shoot with proper form. Then you can buy hunting weight limbs later AFTER you have learned how to shoot. Absolute worse thing you can do is buy a 55 lb bow and try to learn how to shoot. It is a lot of fun, but will be frustrating as heck if you over bow yourself up front.

·
Registered
973 Posts
jimmy blackmon on youtube. youtube is the single greatest resource for outdoorsmen, especially trad style barebow archers.
if you can, get someone to help you pick your arrows. they have as much or more to do with hitting what you look at than the bow. good flight and hitting where you are looking is where it is at.
tom clum on youtube later on when you are putting the finishing touches on your draw and release. but, to be upfront, we are never finshed with the finishing touches on our shot. lol.

·
Registered
22,794 Posts
I have a different view

I don't like ILF and I think a R/D longbow is as forgiving as a recuvre.

Get a quality recurve. Get arrows that work in it. Get a weight COMFORTABLE FOR YOU - that might be 40# or 50# everyone is different. Me? I shoot a glove/fingers vs a tab .... I like carbon arrows.

I'm right up the road from you in Bryant - I shot trad for quite a few years. All I have right now is a 3 piece TD Martin Hatfield bow (just got it)

·
Registered
724 Posts
I second a recurve, I've got a 45# Crow Creek Black Feather recurve and its plenty powerful for any Arkansas whitetail. Carbon arrows with some weight up front and a good cut on contact broadhead and it will work. I shoot a tab/three under...but would suggest shooting and trying every thing, trad archery is different, you have to figure out what works for you.

·
Premium Member
33,546 Posts
How do you hunt? Tree stands?, Ground Blinds?
Where do you hunt ? Private? Public?
Read everything you can,watch every youtube videos you can..Get with some one that's good at it..Learn,listen,Watch..Good luck,Good Hunting..

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Find a competent mentor that can show you the ropes. If you have someone that knows what they are doing when it comes to arrow / bow tuning that's a plus. It's not quite as easy as putting any ol arrow and tip and expecting great results. A mentor can really flatten the learning curve.

I prefer a longbow. There is almost no way to twist the limbs on a longbow like you can with a recurve. However, a lot of folks including myself start with a recurve but then transition to a longbow in the end.

My #44 longbow with 550gr arrows and a sharp 2 blade head has made two holes every time despite what most would consider a light weight bow.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Like previously stated , if you can find a great mentor that’s a huge plus, I was and still am taught by mine, there are a lot of good books out there too , I am drawing a blank right now but I think asbell wrote one on instinctive shooting , make sure you start with lower weight and get form down , I hunt with a 47# asbell big horn and it’s plenty with the right arrows and good broad head

·
Registered
973 Posts
Like previously stated , if you can find a great mentor that’s a huge plus, I was and still am taught by mine, there are a lot of good books out there too , I am drawing a blank right now but I think asbell wrote one on instinctive shooting , make sure you start with lower weight and get form down , I hunt with a 47# asbell big horn and it’s plenty with the right
AVOID that asbell book. i should burn my copy. his whole point is "instinctive shooting" is like throwing a ball. it is true, that there is no aiming when throwing a baseball. but even major league pitchers miss their target pretty often. we are talking about a goal of lowering the chances of a miss significantly. After his book and trying that style, I found myself missing, and not knowing, or being able to identify, what went wrong. figuring out a gap system, or split vision, and then practicing till it is concrete is where it is at...

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I never read Asbell but have been shooting for a few years and instinctive has served me well. But you must shoot almost daily to maintain proficiency. Last year a fellow member showed me the split vision shooting style and I was impressed. With less practice he was laying the arrows right where they needed to be. I picked it up fairly quickly. I would suggest starting with split vision.

·
Registered
11,274 Posts
I hunted recurve a few years. Enjoyed the heck out of it. Expect to practice some everyday. When I was doing it I had my bow hanging in the Garage. Everytime I had a chance I would grab my bow and shoot 3 to 6 arrows. When I was walking to my stand through fields I shot a practice arrow with a Judo point at dirt clods or whatever at different.distances. If you can find someone to help set you up with proper brace and nock height and arrow tuning it would be helpful.

·
Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,207 Posts
I have a different view

I don't like ILF and I think a R/D longbow is as forgiving as a recuvre.

Get a quality recurve. Get arrows that work in it. Get a weight COMFORTABLE FOR YOU - that might be 40# or 50# everyone is different. Me? I shoot a glove/fingers vs a tab .... I like carbon arrows.

I'm right up the road from you in Bryant - I shot trad for quite a few years. All I have right now is a 3 piece TD Martin Hatfield bow (just got it)
It's been my experience that a longbow is the most forgiving. I shoot a R/D Hybrid bow, and as long as your anchor is solid, and your release is constant it will shoot where you look no matter what you do.

·
Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE.

Here I am, two months into this trad game. In the past couple months I have learned so much and fallen in love with traditional archery.

I had a friend of mine recommend Rick Welch's shooting school to me. Rick teaches instinctive shooting. I went to see Rick on a Wednesday and Thursday and learned more in those two days and shot better than I ever thought I could. During the class I shot a couple of Rick's bows. I ended up ordering a Dakota Pro Hunter Recurve from Rick and it should be coming any day! Rick has been gracious enough to let me borrow a 40lbs Pro Hunter recurve while I wait on my bow to be completed.

Fast forward to the Saturday afternoon after I left Rick's class. I decided I wanted to go get in a tree and had my buddy come with me to film. Keep in mind I only have two arrows set up and ready with broadheads. We had a young doe come into the food plot about an hour before dark and mad her way to about 23 yards to my right side. First shot, smooth whiff, my top limb was bumping a limb as I drew back so I canted my bow. Bad move on my part. The doe bounced off but eventually made her way back in to about 20 yards, still on my right side. This time I decided to squat a bit to keep my top limb from the big oak limb overhanging the right side of the tree. Second shot, right under her. This time the doe ran out of the plot. After we collect ourselves from the laughter and excitement, I realize that we have plenty of time before dark and I'm OUT of arrows. I climb down and go grab my arrows. About 20 minutes before dark, she comes back. This time to my left and 20 yards. I was going to make sure I repeated everything Rick had taught me in my head. I let the shot off and everything felt great. The doe bolted about 20 yards and then slowing walked out of the plot. We grabbed the arrow and went back to the house to review the footage. The arrow had a mixture of blood and gut. I called Brad Besancon and asked him to bring his dogs Katie and The Dude. I was going to do everything I could to find this deer. After reviewing the footage, we knew the deer was dead. Brad and his pups arrived and we got on the track. 30 yards from where we last saw her leave the plot she was down! Holy Cow, what a feeling!

I have been shooting daily and continue to progress and learn more about traditional archery. Hopefully I will be able to share more pictures with you all soon!

Plant Hunting Hat Terrestrial plant Grass

Hunting Hat Plant Wood Tree

·
Registered
973 Posts
awesome! i am wishing for a second chance at a buck that I hit a twig on, for the first sighting and first shot at him... arrow sailed over his back. lol. the older buck did not give another chance, sadly... anyway, great story! im sure, like me, you are hooked...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts