Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my wife are in the market and are nearly ready to buy or build a home. We had researched and talked to a man from United Built at one time but i wanted to get some firsthand or reliable second hand experiences about dealings with them and the quality of their work.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

(the home and garden forum is not seeing much action so this is a repost from there)

·
Moderator/smokepole pimp
11,480 Posts
Quality and speed of work is usually pretty good. I bought one of their houses 18 years ago and it was put together right.

We tried them for the house we just built. They've got their own selection of plans that they like to build, because they've got every little detail worked out and can whip those out in a hurry. If you try a "custom" job, watch out, it gets expesive in a hurry.

Also, don't let the owner's son Donny "borrow" you're blueprints to work up a quote-- He's still got mine three years later, and I never did get that quote! He never owned up to it, and I never got those prints back either... I ended up contracting the job myself.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Custom Home

A long time ago I found out that a home that is 9-12 years old is really nice. Usually landscapping is in, the systems still have good life, extras have been added etc. Saves a lot of sweat because a lot of extras do not add a whole lot of value, so you get a lot of bang for the buck. Get a home Warrenty.
If you have special requirements then go for the custom. Here in Little Rock if you have very little experience in contracting most lenders will not let you self contract. If Money is a concern try ADFA American Dream program. There is also a program through HUD called 203K that allows you to improve or rehab a home. It rides right along with the mortgage payment and you never know the difference. Again HUD will not let you self contract.
The one thing that is still free is a Buyers Agent in Real Estate. Be specific what you want with the agent. If you go for the exclusive Buyers Agent agreement you have legal remedy. Ask your agent for comps and how the filtering was performed.
Give me a PM if you have any questions. Best wishes to you on your search. By the way there are tons of repos coming on the market right now and the bargains are there. Be sure and talk to a lender before you put one foot in a door!
A licensed Real Estate Broker.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
We moved in our house two weeks ago and we contracted it out ourselves. Of course I am sure you have read my post about our attic "trouble" but we think we might have that under control now. Lets hope. I would build it custom the way you want it and you wont regret it!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts